Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Charge on BB&T Spectrum

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Fraudulent Charge on BB&T Spectrum

When I got my BB&T Spectrum VISA, the only transaction I did on it was a balance transfer and since I have 1-year to pay it 0% APR offer I basically just pay $50 every paycheck. Other than that, no charges.

So I am I am looking at all my accounts in Personal Capital the other day, and I see a $288 charge on the card at Walmart in AZ, a few thousands miles away from where I live. Called CSR, they closed the card, sending me a new card, and the charge will be voided.

Question though: that card has never left my wallet since the day I got it. The card resides dead center my wallet in the middle of some of my other cards, so its not like its the end of my wallet and someone passed by me with some kinda reader and with COVID, its not like I am going out much.

So I am trying to figure out - how did this happen? Was my PC hacked? Was my phone hacked? Did someone have the same CC with just 1-number difference and they put in the wrong #? 

I would think if I was hacked, they might of charged more than $288, or some place more expensive than Walmart.

So I wanted to open this topic to speculation on what you guys think happened..

Potential Future Cards
10 REPLIES 10
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Fraudulent Charge on BB&T Spectrum

In one year and two different Walmart accts. I've had a total of 3 times that fraudlent charges happened.  Last one1.5 months ago caught by Comenity on dh's SPG.  I doubt I'll ever figure it out.  Everytime though I'm told not to leave my pymt. credentials on there. (no cards)  So we'll see (or I'll see I guess).  Ds had this happen last year too.

Do you store your card number as pymt method on Walmart's website?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

In one year and two different Walmart accts. I've had a total of 3 times that fraudlent charges happened.  Last one1.5 months ago caught by Comenity on dh's SPG.  I doubt I'll ever figure it out.  Everytime though I'm told not to leave my pymt. credentials on there. (no cards)  So we'll see (or I'll see I guess).  Ds had this happen last year too.

I do, but not this card. I have another card stored for movies (VuDu).

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

I do, but not this card. I have another card stored for movies (VuDu).

I erased all of my BB&T cards plus the others.  I was rotating them to keep them alive.  Now I lock my BB&T cards (issue with Doordash) and csr's telling me not to have cards in file there either.  I'm not saavy enough to figure it out but I don't have anything attached anywhere now...pita but I'm curious to see if it all stops going forward.

BTW, my dil accidently used my Regions card on Walmart (online) with her name, not mine, and it went through!  This happened last week and we are watching to see what happens.  She didn't have the card saved, placed one order with my permission.  The other order she selected her pymt. but I got the charge.  She called Walmart and they confirmed it went through on my card with her name.  IDK what to think of this.

Message 4 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Forgot to add: she placed the orders through her Walmart login, not mine.

Message 5 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

It's hard to say!! I use RF blocking wallet. Change passwords monthly, never store cards on website.

Practicing good security on phone and computer is imparitive, but won't always enough to protect. Could be lax practices from BBT, internal scraping. You may never know!!!

Set YOUR text alerts. I have all cards to alert on purchases of $1, except Amex which is $10. That way I can report immediately. I keep physical cards locked within apps, unlock if I use.

Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

In addition to what @blindambition mentioned upthread, there's the recent thread below which includes some BB&T fraud instances plus other lenders as well:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/CC-Fraud-BB-amp-T-others/m-p/6181636

Bear in mind that fraud is a 24/7/365 multi-billion $$ enterprise.  Lots of sophistication involved which ultimately does not require the physical card on hand (or chip authentication) for it to occur.  At best, it's possible a random account generator produced the information for your account to become compromised.  My recommendation (as suggested above) is to periodically monitor accounts, set up alerts, periodically update your login credentials.

Message 7 of 11
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@FinStar I have a question about these charges at Walmart.  Each time I've had fraudulent charges, I've called Walmart and they cannot find any orders in my name.  None on any of the accts. I've had with them, which were created after each round of fraud.  Yet the fraudulent charges happen shortly after I've placed an order.  3 different instances using 3 different cards.  Only advice I've been given by the ccc's is to not store my card info.  Does that sound like this is happening on my end? (computer, ip address)  If so, is there a way to find out?  But if not, does that mean I'm safest not logging in to a site but just checkout as a "Guest"?

Maybe this could help others, idk but I certainly would like to know how to better protect myself. I'm not computer saavy but there seems to be a pattern. What do you think?

Message 8 of 11
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64  Sorry this happened to you. I recently paid my BBT Card off and used the the lock card feature on the online website to make sure no charges are approved to the account. I do not plan on using the card again and will just leave it in this status until the decide to close it.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 9 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Harvey26 wrote:

@Wavester64  Sorry this happened to you. I recently paid my BBT Card off and used the the lock card feature on the online website to make sure no charges are approved to the account. I do not plan on using the card again and will just leave it in this status until the decide to close it.

Thanks @Harvey26 Smiley Happy

When mine is paid off, I plan on doing the same.

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.