cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze credit to stop collection from reporting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freeze credit to stop collection from reporting?

Hi, my ex-roommate had to move out and thus we had to break the lease. He agreed to pay the lease break fee of about $10k but his check to the apartment management bounced and he is not responding to any messages anymore. 

I'm preparing a lawsuit against him in small claims court to get him to pay since the aprtment management has said they will send it to collections within a week.

What options do I have to protect my credit apart from paying the lease break fee myself?

I was thinking of freezing my credit until the court claim is settled so that the collection doesn't show on my credit. Is it possible? Please advise me! Thanks a lot!

4 REPLIES 4
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

Re: Freeze credit to stop collection from reporting?

my opinion is that a credit freeze will not stop a collection agency from reporting.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any suggestion on what I can do then?

@Fico82 wrote:

my opinion is that a credit freeze will not stop a collection agency from reporting.

Message 3 of 5
thornback
Senior Contributor

There is nothing you can do, aside from payment, that will keep it from reporting. Freezing your credit is for ID theft prevention...it doesn't stop items from reporting.

You can either try negotiating a settlement amount, or pay the 10K in full and take the roommate to court so you may be reimbursed.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 5
Kree
Established Contributor

Also check into your local state laws. Many states do not allow lease breaking fees, and any lease breakage is simply the unpaid rent left on the lease.  It is illegal for an apartment to charge you unpaid rent for time when the apartment is rented out by another.  I've seen 5,000 worth of lease breakage get knocked down to 100 bucks because the apartment was only on the market for 2 days.

They will never admit that though, and keep trying to bill the full amount unless you are proactive.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.