Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing/Locking Credit Reports

tag
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Freezing/Locking Credit Reports

So I've been gardening for the last month or so and wanted to lock my reports. Just to make it an extra step that I would have to take if I was tempted to apply for something. So I would have to take the time to unlock my reports, which in turn make me think harder about what I was doing. I have been using Experian ever since I started my rebuild and to be able to lock your report on there, you have to have one of the paid subscriptions. I joined up on the Transunion web site and became a member and used their tool to lock both TU and EQ. This morning I see they charged me $26. It's hard to see what you are even signing up for on their site. So my question is, is there no free way to be able to lock your reports? If that's the way it is that's fine and I'll just leave them locked and pay again when I want them unlocked. But, I don't want to pay for ongoing subscriptions. Especially not to TU just to see a Vantage score that I get from Credit Karma for free. Thanks in advance.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Freezing/Locking Credit Reports

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 2 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Freeze is free.
Message 3 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Put em on ice

Message 4 of 9
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone for the answers. I'll unlock them and freeze them. Thanks again. As always, still learning. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 5 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@BmoreBull wrote:

Thanks everyone for the answers. I'll unlock them and freeze them. Thanks again. As always, still learning. 

You are welcome.

Message 6 of 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Always better to freeze. You have legal protection with a freeze. I only use lock when freeze has been temporarily unfrozen.

Message 7 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@AllZero Thank you!! I just got an HP for a CLI request that was supposed to be SP.....won't happen again. Smiley Happy 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@AllZero Thank you!! I just got an HP for a CLI request that was supposed to be SP.....won't happen again. Smiley Happy 

@newmomnewme. Glad you found the link to freeze your reports.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.