Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing Reports?

tag
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Freezing Reports?

I have decided to freeze all 3 of my reports for about 1 year. BUT that will depend on 1 thing. Can SP still be performed on a frozen credit report? For CLI's in particular? I dont want to freeze my ability to grow my cards I just want to ensure nothing disturbs my reports until my old student loan lates fall off next year

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Freezing Reports?

Current lenders can access your reports through a freeze. Some lenders, like sync, require reports to be thawed for a CLI. It literally takes less than a minute to thaw though.

Message 2 of 11
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

It's not as big of a decision as you might be thinking. As you may know, you can lift any freeze at any time, temporarily or permanently. 

The answer to your specific question is: yes, SPs can still be performed on frozen reports. That is not to say that all CLI requests will go smoothly with freezes in place. Some creditors won't process a request in such circumstances, even if they only intend to perform an SP. It depends on their specific internal policy. For example, HSBC says that's their policy. I think SoFi does too. There are probably many others. 

I have all three frozen and I'm happy with the overall results. Good luck!

Message 3 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

For you or other members that want to freeze...

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 4 of 11
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone! I will indeed be freezing them now. I just feel like its safer and makes 1 extra step for me to go thru before applying for stuff i prob dont need anyway! 

Message 5 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It does make impulse applications a bit more difficult which for some people is a godsend.

Just make sure to properly protect your PINs, both to keep others from being able to acquire them and making sure that you can retrieve them yourself

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 11
OmarR
Established Contributor

2 of them have gone pin-less. I think it's only Experian that requires one now. 

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 7 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

TransUnion still ask for a PIN to be created.
Message 8 of 11
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

@OmarR I froze all 3 yesterday and the only one that did not require a pin was Equifax. The other 2 I had to set a PIN. 

Message 9 of 11
OmarR
Established Contributor

Interesting.

When I unfreeze, only Experian asks for my PIN. For me, it's been like that for about a year now. 

I am wondering if it's only on the UNFREEZE action that makes it different?

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.