cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Where Do the Credit Reporting Agencies Get One’s Income?

tag
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

From Where Do the Credit Reporting Agencies Get One’s Income?

I just was looking at my Experian credit report and happened to notice that they had an amount for my monthly income that has not been right for about 30 years (if it ever was), and I was curious where they got it. I have not yet looked to see if it shows on either of my other two reports, but I presume that I cannot do anything other than get it deleted (is there any way to get it corrected)?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

Re: From Where Do the Credit Reporting Agencies Get One’s Income?

I have one employer from more than 30 years ago listed. Not wrong, but certainly well out of date.

One interesting DP: I belonged to that employer's CU at the time. I wonder if that CU had reported employment data?

Either way, it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I have had multiple mortgages, refis, and a HELOC since then with no apparent consequences.

Message 2 of 3
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

Re: From Where Do the Credit Reporting Agencies Get One’s Income?

@SeaProbe wrote:

I have one employer from more than 30 years ago listed. Not wrong, but certainly well out of date.

I have the same one or two employers listed on all three. Both are correct (one is a start up, funded by the other), but I know that neither reported themselves.

One interesting DP: I belonged to that employer's CU at the time. I wonder if that CU had reported employment data?

Funny you should say that, as the income listed seems likely from my time working for a research lab where had direct deposit into their credit union.

Either way, it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I have had multiple mortgages, refis, and a HELOC since then with no apparent consequences.

Was wondering if anyone looked at it or if it was used as part of ones scores at all.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.