Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furniture recommendations newer credit?

tag
Society1
Regular Contributor

Furniture recommendations newer credit?

Hello, i'm just really establishing credit score is a 684.. with a 1K secured loan in good standing and a new auto loan that hasnt reported just yet! But i am also a AU on my mother's card for the last 3years paid on time w/ a zero balance! i'm moving and looking for a fairly easy approval furniture store to get me a few furniture items.. any suggestions?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Furniture recommendations newer credit?

@Society1 wrote:

Hello, i'm just really establishing credit score is a 684.. with a 1K secured loan in good standing and a new auto loan that hasnt reported just yet! But i am also a AU on my mother's card for the last 3years paid on time w/ a zero balance! i'm moving and looking for a fairly easy approval furniture store to get me a few furniture items.. any suggestions?

I would suggest trying to get a regular credit card rather than a store card. I would suggest Discover IT card or American Express Blue Cash Everyday.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 9
Society1
Regular Contributor

Thanks brother so these cards are more so for beginners? Just so I won't waste a unnecessary inquiry 

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

Thanks brother so these cards are more so for beginners? Just so I won't waste a unnecessary inquiry 

No guarantees, but (a) you're not a complete beginner, (b) neither of those cards is very hard for a beginner to get, (c) they're both useful cards that you can hold on to forever, and (d) your score is high enough to qualify.

If you apply for a store card there's no guarantee you'll be approved for that either.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Be careful on furniture loans. They are usually consumer finance accounts and FICO doesnt like them too much. They'll ding you for the life of the account on your reports even after its closed. @SouthJamaica gave you great advice.

Message 5 of 9
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Also don't forget used. There is a lot of good, solid furniture out there for dirt cheap if you look. And don't forget stores like dirt cheap, ollie's etc that may have some of what you need.

Message 6 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Society1 wrote:

That really depends on what you're looking for. Do you want high-end, high-quality pieces, even if that means buying them little by little? Or is quickly filling up your space, even by sacrificing quality, more important to you right now? Do you have a set budget for this?

Although I generally don't think store cards are a great idea, a furniture store card could come in handy in your situation. Check around your local area and see if any of the furniture stores are running any kind of promotion using their card. You may be able to find something like 12 months at 0% interest, or 24 months of deferred interest, etc. *IF* you can pay off the balance before the promotional period runs out, this can be a VERY good way to get the furniture you want, and do it quickly. BUT, if you're not going to be able to pay the balance when the promo ends, you can easily find yourself in big-time trouble with a high APR.

A combination of approaches might work, too. For example, maybe you can find a local store offering 12 months with no interest, get their card (which should be easy to get), buy your furniture, make your payments, and when it's getting close to the promo ending, transfer the balance to another card. I'm looking down the road, to when you're able to apply for, and get, good major cards that would offer balance transfers at 0%.

If you know going in that you're not going to pay off the balance when the promo ends, you might do better just getting a major card to begin with. Its APR will most likely be lower than any store card's, and you can use it anywhere, not just at that one store. You've gotten some good suggestions, and I don't really have any to add, so I'll leave it at that.

Also, I agree with the person who suggested buying used furniture. High quality furniture lasts forever, and if you can find a 'gently used' furniture store, or even look at local garage sales and estate sales, you should find some pretty good stuff.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. So just to clarify @FireMedic1 , store cards, specifically furniture cards, ding your credit even after they are closed with a $0 balance? Okay, I just reread your post Smiley Wink  Consumer finance accounts.

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Be careful on furniture loans. They are usually consumer finance accounts and FICO doesnt like them too much. They'll ding you for the life of the account on your reports even after its closed. @SouthJamaica gave you great advice.

Message 8 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. So just to clarify @FireMedic1 , store cards, specifically furniture cards, ding your credit even after they are closed with a $0 balance? Okay, I just reread your post Smiley Wink  Consumer finance accounts.

@FireMedic1 wrote:

CFA Loans, rent to own are no no's, cards ok. Its all good. Good Luck! Great advice so far.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.