cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening for a few months, thinking about my next card.. need suggestions.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gardening for a few months, thinking about my next card.. need suggestions.

Hey guys, 

So title pretty much states it. 

I just recently opened a Cap1 secured card, $49 deposit for the $200 limit. I'm going to baby it for a few months but would like to move away from it and into something w/ a better sign on bonus or at least decent rewards. 

Cards I am strongly considering:

- Chase Freedom ($150 after $500 spend) 

- AMEX Blue Cash Everyday ($200 after $1,000 spend)

- Discover IT (Student or non-student?)

I am a college student, AAoA is 9 months, according to CK (not ideal, I know) my score is 727 on TU and EQ.

10 HPs on EQ and 4 on TU. 

On TU 2 of the HPs are from a car dealership, one from AMEX when I applied back when I turned 18 (and had no credit.. dumb I know), and the last is from Cap1 in which I was approved. 

On EQ it is as follows:

- Cap1

- Discover (Denied for Student IT, "too many HPs, account age too low, util too high (since remedied)")

- Auto Financing (bank)

- Auto Financing (Other Bank)

- 2 from Comcast for home internet

- Discover (When I immediately turned 18, second screw up..)

- AMEX (See above ^)

- Chase (See above ^)

Total  combined limit is 16k across 2 accounts currently reporting, will be 16,200 when I add the cap1.

Zero derogs, 4% utilization.

Now I'm thinking I should wait until my auto loan starts reporting, the secured card starts reporting, maintain that for a couple months and then app for one of the cash back cards. I am buying a computer for ~$1,000 in the near future (within 3 months) and would REALLY like to use that purchase to hit the minimum spend and collect that bonus. Is there any chance of this or will I just need to put off my computer purchase/resort to paying cash? 

Let me know, thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Gardening for a few months, thinking about my next card.. need suggestions.

Welcome to the myFICO forums!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.