cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving credit where credit is due - no pun intended.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Giving credit where credit is due - no pun intended.

I'm a paid subscriber to the MyFico score monitor thing here...and it's great for keeping an eye on my actual scores, simulator tools, etc.   And I'm also signed on to the free Vantage score sites like Credit Karma, and the Capital One Creditwise thing. 

I bought a new car earlier this evening.  Can you guess from which service(s) I got email alerts that someone had accessed my credit file within seconds (not minutes, not hours - seconds) pulling my file?  I can give you a hint.  They're both free services.  I still have not received one alert from MyFico.

I had an issue last year with a bogus collection being pinned to my file, which I was able to have removed, thanks in parto to getting instant notification.  Again - that alert came from Credit Karma.  I know their scores are useless in the real world - but for free, those sites have definite value.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Giving credit where credit is due - no pun intended.

No doubt about it. Free monitoring services do a nice job with alerts in many cases.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

CK and similar sites do have value by way of monitoring and alerts. Add in the free Experian monitoring app and you basically have the big three covered.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi SurfDog.  There's another thread going on that is discussing whether some people might choose to scrap the myFICO product altogether and just use free or ultralow cost tools instead.  You might want to take a look:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/best-credit-monitoring-service/td-p/5046143

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.