cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a Target Denial Letter -- (we didn't apply! Frozen reports reason for denial)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a Target Denial Letter -- (we didn't apply! Frozen reports reason for denial)

The reason for denial? Freeze on credit reports ....Thank goodness!

The reason we froze all of our credit reports in the first place was because someone opened up an Old Navy card (and charged on it) about 2-3 years ago in my husband's name. We froze all our reports after we got that straightened out. And haven't had anything happen since.

My question, what do we do now, if anything?? Our reports are frozen but someone is actively trying to get a card in my husband's name again. 

I did also get a black market (I think that is what they call it) warning on my credit report through Fico. First time. My husband has had a couple. Not even sure what to do with those?? 

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Got a Target Denial Letter -- (we didn't apply! Frozen reports reason for denial)

You unfreeze for the application, as soon as you get HP notification, you freeze again. His reports only need to be unlocked for a very short period of time right before the application and can be frozen as soon as HP is done.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got a Target Denial Letter -- (we didn't apply! Frozen reports reason for denial)

Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I understand unfreezing to apply, then refreezing, etc, we have done that. 

BUT we didn't apply for the Target card.....it was fraud, someone else applied using his info somehow. We just got the denial letter in the mail because of the frozen accounts.

I was unsure what, if anything, we need to do since someone is trying to get credit in his name...again. (happened a few years ago also, and why we froze accounts)

Message 3 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I understand unfreezing to apply, then refreezing, etc, we have done that. 

BUT we didn't apply for the Target card.....it was fraud, someone else applied using his info somehow. We just got the denial letter in the mail because of the frozen accounts.

I was unsure what, if anything, we need to do since someone is trying to get credit in his name...again. (happened a few years ago also, and why we froze accounts)

Yes, when possible, file a police report. 

Hopefully no more accounts will be opened in his name, but should one somehow make it's way to his CR, police report is mandatory for the blocks to be made. 

You might want to order a copy of chex  and ews reports to make sure no one attempted to open a bank account in his name. 

I'm a little bit confused on how you got the letter, because the address issuing bank would have on file would belong to whomever applied, so letter would be mailed to the same address as card would have been, only with your husband's name, and not theirs. 

Message 4 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully no more accounts will be opened in his name, but should one somehow make it's way to his CR, police report is mandatory for the blocks to be made. 

You might want to order a copy of chex  and ews reports to make sure no one attempted to open a bank account in his name. 

I'm a little bit confused on how you got the letter, because the address issuing bank would have on file would belong to whomever applied, so letter would be mailed to the same address as card would have been, only with your husband's name, and not theirs. 

If they don't use the same address, they can't get instant verification. Once the account is approved they can max it out and move on to the next victim. The shipping address on the actual account would be where they want the stuff to go.

Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If they don't use the same address, they can't get instant verification. Once the account is approved they can max it out and move on to the next victim. The shipping address on the actual account would be where they want the stuff to go.

Dang. Thanks for clarification.  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thank you both. 

We will sit tight and watch. (and order those reports)

Message 7 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous 

You may want to consider placing Fraud Alerts on both yours & Dh cb's as well.  I had this happen, someone applied for a loan, had my address changed (found that on Factor Trust) but luckily whoever tried was denied the loan.

Fraud Alerts are a safeguard but a pita at the same time too.  Amex will hp you for every au on personal or biz and for every app with them....that's been a regret.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.