Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government 'help' for my student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Government 'help' for my student loans

I had two student loans with edfinancial. Im currently in school and am not paying on them asper the terms of the loans.

A week ago, I got a letter from the government syaing they had purchased my loans from edfinancial. The edfinancial letter came a few days later confirming such.

2 days ago I got a scorealert from myfico saying my credit score had dropped by 12 points. When I investigated, the change was in these two loans saying 'Account transferred or sold Student loan - payment deferred' and the balance now showed 0. The new loans from the government have not showed up yet.

Why would this make my score go down. None of this was my doing.

Message Edited by JonHenry on 04-16-2009 05:02 AM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Government 'help' for my student loans

Hmmmm.... I'm going to wager a guess, and hope that someone more knowledgable will confirm or correct me if I'm way off base. By chance, are your student loans your only installment loans? If so, the drop might be because your balance went to zero.

If you have other open installment account(s), I'd be more suspicious, and would recommend that you pull your reports directly from the CRAs and go over them with a magnifying lens. But, having no installment accounts (or all zero balances on them) have been know to drop a score slightly.

Message 2 of 3
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Government 'help' for my student loans

It may have also been something completely unrelated. I got a ScoreWatch alert the other day saying MyFico had increased by +12. It said the reason was because " A balance increased on two revolving accounts". I am almost certain that an increase in balance did not raise my score.

In your case i could have been something unrelated to the student loans. ScoreWatch is weird like that.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.