Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Disputed USAA account.

tag
shaneemkh
Established Member

HELP! Disputed USAA account.

Years ago in 2008 I became behind on my USAA credit card due to a job change, being a student and 19 at the time. The credit card was $500 and was a student account. I paid it off. And waited over 7 years for it to be removed. After 7+ years I disputed it and it still stayed on. Within the last year I disputed the account and they turned it to positive. This account has not had any data showing since 2010 because its been closed. I recently disputed it again and its still showing as positive with no late payments and etc. Its almost as if they created a new account because this time the account wont come off until 2025. Not sure if I should be happy about this. But I find it strange how USAA keeps reporting this account wrong. Its kind of frustrated because for years I maybe had three account on my credit report counting this account and it was negative. It was hard for me to boost my credit score because it was always on there as negative. And now they report it positive and closed with no data. Not sure if I should just leave it or keep fighting it for the sake that it should have been gone a long time ago.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Disputed USAA account.

If it is bothering you/negatively impacting your CBR and score, send a letter directly to the address of the bureaus. Outline specifically why you feel it should be removed. Include in the letter the mandate regarding that account can be removed after 7 years. I am assuming you disputed online, in my experience they take disputes by mail more seriously. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the lates have expired and been removed, this is a positive account increasing your AAoA and your oldest acct. If it was closed in 2008, it should correctly report the positive history for roughly 10 years which would be 2018. I don't know why it has been extended to 2025, but if it were me I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 7
shaneemkh
Established Member

I guess it bothered me because it was negative and should've been removed but wasn't. So It does account for my credit age even though it's closed? I guess I'll leave as is. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shaneemkh wrote:

I guess it bothered me because it was negative and should've been removed but wasn't. So It does account for my credit age even though it's closed? I guess I'll leave as is. 

Yes, closed accounts still count for the AoA and payment history, just not for UTI. They removed the negative marks, but positive acocunts stay 10 years, not seven. So removing the negative but leaving the positive was the more accurate fix.

Message 5 of 7
shaneemkh
Established Member

Awesome. I guess I'll leave as is. Thanks for your reply 

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A paid off credit card is not excluded from your credit report at 7 years.

Exclusion of entire accounts only applies to charged-off accounts that remain delinquent after 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.

Collections similarly become excluded after 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD, but they are not accounts of the consumer.

Other exclusions relate only to information reported under the account, not to the entire account.

Removal of entire accounts is not required under the FCRA, it is done only under CRA administrative policy, which is normally 10 years after account closure.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.