Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP I want to save MY Credit Score Husband Wants to file Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP I want to save MY Credit Score Husband Wants to file Bankruptcy

I recently raised my credit scores over the last 6 months from the 510 to 615. I JUST bought a house in another state under my OWN name. MY husband got 2 summons to be sued by 2 Credit companies for about 11,000 dollars. He went to see a lawyer fro "Free advice" What they want him to do is File a chapter 13. I don't want to be part of ANY bankruptcy. BEEN THERE DONE THAT 30 YEARS ago with another spouse. How can I NOT be a part of this?I am afraid because it will affect three major accounts. Our current house, my car loan which I PAY and keep current and another credit card that I don't care about but I keep current. 2 years ago he sent ALL his cards to a "Debt relief agency" which he pays 440 a month which hasn't done much for him. Im so mad I could scream.

I was wondering If I should get a Legal Separation just to protect my assets but our state doesn't recognize them... Any suggestions????

Frustrated Fla Female

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: HELP I want to save MY Credit Score Husband Wants to file Bankruptcy

I would!!

Jeez....maybe it's time to leave?

Seriously, if I was in the situation, I would have separate bank accounts, separate cc's, etc.  Get a legal document that says he is responsible for x bills and you are responsible for y bills.  Creditors don't really care, but it's a step in protecting yourself.

It sounds like you have a car and a house in both names?   If you can, refi them to just your name.  If they are both joint when he gets sued, or if he files bk, then it will affect your credit.  No getting around that.

*hugs*  I am sorry  you are going through this.

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you don't live in a community property state and all your credit is your credit, not joint, you should be ok.  His filing Chapter 13 in his name should have no adverse effect on you.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In doing research for Chapter 13  it says 

Married individuals must gather this information for their spouse regardless of whether they are filing a joint petition, separate individual petitions, or even if only one spouse is filing. In a situation where only one spouse files, the income and expenses of the non-filing spouse is required so that the court, the trustee and creditors can evaluate the household's financial position.

SO if I move to my other home out of state would I be safe? the  same frustrated fL female

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I think your best bet would be to talk to a BK attorney on your own.

I sent you a PM.

Message 5 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I think your best bet would be to talk to a BK attorney on your own.

I sent you a PM.

That, above, is the best advice you can get!!!  We can all try to help & give a reasonable idea of what would happen & what you should do....but a BK Atty, that is what they specialize in. 

Good luck hon & don't let him take you down with him.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.