Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA and Medical Debt not on CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HIPAA and Medical Debt not on CR

I received a letter from a medical-specific collection agency regarding a $500 medical debt from late 2016 in mid February. I am about a week away from the end of the 30-day verification period, but the more I look into it, the more I'm confused about HIPAA laws vs. collections and verification vs. dispute and the very specific "HIPAA removal method," and I'm seeing people say specifically not to request verification?

Now this collection hasn't shown up on my credit report (yet), and I have no specific information to dispute, because I have no information at all besides a date of sevice and locally ubiquitous healthcare system. It could very well be valid, but I have no idea off my head what it could be. If it is valid, I don't mind paying it, but I don't want to fork over $500 if I don't have to.

Dispute vs. verification if a medical debt isn't on your CR yet-- anyone know about the best course of action?

4 REPLIES 4
JVille
Valued Contributor

Re: HIPAA and Medical Debt not on CR

Have you moved since 2016? Have you just picked up the phone and called them to see who the actual Creditor is? Seems the easiest choice. If it’s yours and you get it paid ASAP then it will never turn up on your credit report. If it’s not you then tell them to send you proof....
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JVillewrote:
Have you moved since 2016? Have you just picked up the phone and called them to see who the actual Creditor is? Seems the easiest choice. If it’s yours and you get it paid ASAP then it will never turn up on your credit report. If it’s not you then tell them to send you proof....

Wouldn't OP be at risk if he or she called that agency? like one saying yes this is my debt and I want to find out about it.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If there is a period running against you, then you have received a dunning notice.

Who is identified in the dunning notice as the current owner of the debt?

Your next step may depend upon who currently owns the debt.....

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was unclear in the notice who actually owns the debt, but I think maybe the original creditor still owns it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.