Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP for apartment??

tag
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

HP for apartment??

I recently submitted an application for a new apartment and I just got an alert for a new HP for "Real estate/Public accommodations." I knew they would do a credit check; I have had 3 apartments now where each have done separate credit checks and I have never received an inq from them. I don't understand why this would be counted as an inq since Im not getting a line of credit ( ie. loan/mortgage). Is there someway I can get this removed?

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: HP for apartment??

it's standard practice and no you probably won't be able to remove it, but it makes it super easy to recon if people question you on it.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

all of my apartments over the last 4 years have done a HP. sucks
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 12
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

In a way this sucks because if you move around a lot it's going to stick out in a bad way.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 4 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, most will result in a pull. It's legit. It'll age.

Why was credit pulled? They want to know that you have the ability to pay the monthly rent. If they pull your CR and see a herd of collections and the monthly payments from credit obligations places your DTI super high, then they'd certainly question your ability to pay them each month.

Message 5 of 12
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Certain leasing agencies will obviously have their policies, but I've had two places before that said I could request my own report and print it down for them.  Income is still a driving force for apartment leasing.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 6 of 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@cmthomas06 wrote:

I recently submitted an application for a new apartment and I just got an alert for a new HP for "Real estate/Public accommodations." I knew they would do a credit check; I have had 3 apartments now where each have done separate credit checks and I have never received an inq from them. I don't understand why this would be counted as an inq since Im not getting a line of credit ( ie. loan/mortgage). Is there someway I can get this removed?

Just because you didn't get HP before does not mean you won't get it. It is the same deal when you are signing up for utility, cell phone, etc. They want to make sure you can pay your monthly bill (just like how lenders want to make sure you can payback the money).

HP is legit and you cannot get it removed,

Message 7 of 12
Epcot
Valued Contributor

My credit was HP'd several years ago when I first leased an apt. Every year thereafter when I renewed the lease for 1 year at a time it was just a SP.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1   It's a HP, it's legit.  Sorry.  Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 12
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I read somewhere offical (it was either on this site NOT in the fourm part but the actuall site, or maybe it was Experian or Equifax, or TU's site...somewhere offical) that Apartment pulls are NOT suppose to be HPs.  That they are only suppose to be SPs.

You might wanna google it.  Then refference the site to the CRBs to see if you can get the HP removed.  ....The more i think about where i read it, it seems that I read it on one of the CRBs webite.

Try google.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.