Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP with car dealership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HP with car dealership

i purchased a car from Honda July 2015 and authorized a credit check so they could beat the pre-approved offer I walked in with (which they did).  But looking at my HP inquires, there are 3, Fifth Third, Honda and Chase auto of which I didn't use any.  The bank they offered the best deal on was PNC which wasn't even pulled.  Should I get these others off or is that even possible, does this effect my score?  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HP with car dealership

It counts as 1 inquiry and it is normal. No, you cannot get them off your report as you authorized it.
Message 2 of 8
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It counts as 1 inquiry and it is normal. No, you cannot get them off your report as you authorized it.

Agreed.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 3 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 

It should not be too much of a concern with it being reported as one

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO scores it as one, a creditor's computer doesn't and see's them as multiple inquries when applying for new credit.

Message 5 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I get these others off or is that even possible, does this effect my score?  

If they're properly coded they'll score as one even though they report separately.  You can't get them removed.  They're valid and they had permissible purpose.  If you want to limit hard pulls when car shopping then sort out your financing ahead of time and don't let the dealership handle it for you.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I am learning so much about credit on this forum and I thought I had it all down, lol!  If I knew then what I know now I would have just went with my pre-approval but thought if they could beat it, why not.  Live and learn.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me in 2014. I tried and was not able to get them removed. Then bought a Honda about 2 months ago. They piled it the day I bought my car. And then pulled it 3 more times a week later.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.