Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Ball question abt a Hard Pull Inquiry

tag
rokkstarre
Valued Member

Hard Ball question abt a Hard Pull Inquiry

Are creditors allowed to do a hard pull of your credit report if you already have an open account with them??

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hard Ball question abt a Hard Pull Inquiry

@rokkstarre wrote:

Are creditors allowed to do a hard pull of your credit report if you already have an open account with them??

Yes. Typically you'll find it happening when you request additional credit like a CLI or even a new account within that lender (e.g. I just got hit with a hard pull after ordering a bed through my Macys, even though I already had an account established).

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hard Ball question abt a Hard Pull Inquiry

Existing creditors are authorized permissible pull authority to review existing accounts under FCRA 604(a)(3)(F)(ii).

Under the FCRA, a credit inquiry is a credit inquiry, with no distinction between what are referred to as "hard" and "soft" pulls.

Hard and soft puills are only credit reporting codes.  created to enable different impacts of types of inquiries on a consumer's credit scoring.

Creditors often use two different inquiry codes, one for a normal, periodic review of your credit file (soft), and the other for evaluating the extension of new of increased amounts of credit or credit limit (hard).  How they code their inquiries is not disputable under the FCRA.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.