Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiries/rate shopping question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiries/rate shopping question

Hello,

My credit report shows 7 hard inquiries. 6 of them are real estate.Experian shows that the first 2 will be delelted in August 2020, the second pair will be gone in September 2020, and the third pair will be gone in October 2020. The final hard inquiry is from captial one and will be gone in February 2021.

As far as the 6 real estate inquiries go, 5 of them are from the same company. I thought that these were only supposed to count as 1 inquiry if they are in the same category in a certain amount of time, in order to allow consumers to "rate shop".

The captial one is from my credit card which I was approved.

I've read that inquiries stay on your credit report for 24 months but stop affecting your score after 12, is this true? Also, I was approved for a mortgage and the credit card, does that make inquiries look any better if you are approved vs being denied entirely... or do creditors just look at them all the same regardless?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard Inquiries/rate shopping question

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

My credit report shows 7 hard inquiries. 6 of them are real estate.Experian shows that the first 2 will be delelted in August 2020, the second pair will be gone in September 2020, and the third pair will be gone in October 2020. The final hard inquiry is from captial one and will be gone in February 2021.

As far as the 6 real estate inquiries go, 5 of them are from the same company. I thought that these were only supposed to count as 1 inquiry if they are in the same category in a certain amount of time, in order to allow consumers to "rate shop".

I've read that inquiries stay on your credit report for 24 months but stop affecting your score after 12, is this true? Also, I was approved for a mortgage and the credit card, does that make inquiries look any better if you are approved vs being denied entirely... or do creditors just look at them all the same regardless?

The inquiries would count as one score wise meaning only one may make you lose points instead of all of them. It does affect you for the first 12 months and less after that. It does not matter if you are approved or denied when it comes to inquiries. 

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Inquiries/rate shopping question

@simplegirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

The inquiries would count as one score wise meaning only one may make you lose points instead of all of them. It does affect you for the first 12 months and less after that. It does not matter if you are approved or denied when it comes to inquiries. 

Thank you

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.