cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

- Hard Pull on Locked Equifax Credit Report..???

tag
-RED
Regular Contributor

Re: - Hard Pull on a Locked Equifax Credit Report...???

@Anonymous wrote:

You can try to file FDCPA lawsuits pro se if you want, of if you are feeling spendy, retain one of many FDCPA lawyers...but how is that addressing the problem of a company pulling your credit and the possibility of identity theft / credit ruination as a result of identity theft / fraudulent applications in your name?  Should that not be your top priority?  Obviously the credit freeze was not enough to stop your credit from being pinged by some unknown party.  Sticking it to a collector vs. getting to the bottom of a possible identity theft issue... or hell, do both? 

I'm going wait to see what correspondence they send. I'm on top of my investments/money/credit, and I'm really more shocked, then concerned.

I've read enough on line to know it might be they bought a really old debt from my school days, but that is the extent of what might be against me.

Is might be possible they would pull my credit, just to find a brother of mine? Reason I say that is his credit and mine were getting mixed up years ago...

-800 or Bust...!
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your credit is getting mixed with his and vice versa, it can happen, although as per the FCRA, the CRA absolutely must remove any inquiries or marks related to your brother as the running of your credit would be non permissive.  It doesn't sound like you have a collection account on your credit at the moment, but perhaps if you can corroborate the name of inquiring CA with an item that may possibly be on your brother's credit, it can go a long way in resolving the issue.

Hopefully it's a mixup and not one of those crummy out of statute old debt buyers, as there is no limit to what kind of things those people will be willing to do.

Usually if a collector is trying to find information on a debtor via relatives, they would not run the credit, as credit reports cost significantly more than to run other tools that are available to collectors to do what is called "skip tracing"

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If your credit is getting mixed with his and vice versa, it can happen, although as per the FCRA, the CRA absolutely must remove any inquiries or marks related to your brother as the running of your credit would be non permissive.  It doesn't sound like you have a collection account on your credit at the moment, but perhaps if you can corroborate the name of inquiring CA with an item that may possibly be on your brother's credit, it can go a long way in resolving the issue.

Hopefully it's a mixup and not one of those crummy out of statute old debt buyers, as there is no limit to what kind of things those people will be willing to do.

Usually if a collector is trying to find information on a debtor via relatives, they would not run the credit, as credit reports cost significantly more than to run other tools that are available to collectors to do what is called "skip tracing"

Where does the FCRA state anything about removal of INQs?

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can try to file FDCPA lawsuits pro se if you want, of if you are feeling spendy, retain one of many FDCPA lawyers...but how is that addressing the problem of a company pulling your credit and the possibility of identity theft / credit ruination as a result of identity theft / fraudulent applications in your name?  Should that not be your top priority?  Obviously the credit freeze was not enough to stop your credit from being pinged by some unknown party.  Sticking it to a collector vs. getting to the bottom of a possible identity theft issue... or hell, do both? 

One has nothing to do with the other in this case.  Since the pull was made by a CA, it's probably not an issue of someone applying for credit in OPs name -- at least not recently. 

A credit freeze is not enough to stop a current creditor or its assignee from pulling your CR.

In any event, the CA has to send you a dunning letter w/in 5 days.  That will give details about what they are trying to collect and then OP can decide if he needs to worry about ID theft.  When that dunning letter doesn't arrive -- and there is good chance it will not -- then there are ways to deal with CAs.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One has nothing to do with the other in this case.  Since the pull was made by a CA, it's probably not an issue of someone applying for credit in OPs name -- at least not recently. 

A credit freeze is not enough to stop a current creditor or its assignee from pulling your CR.

In any event, the CA has to send you a dunning letter w/in 5 days.  That will give details about what they are trying to collect and then OP can decide if he needs to worry about ID theft.  When that dunning letter doesn't arrive -- and there is good chance it will not -- then there are ways to deal with CAs.

That is what I was explaining to him before-- that even though he has a freeze, it is not stopping his credit from being pulled, as the CA has enough documentation on hand to satisfy the CRA's requirement to bypass the freeze.  Dunning, at least in CA, does not need to be CMRRR'd.  As long as it was sent out to the address on the original application of credit and there was a record of that, it technically satisifies the dunning requirement.   Dunn notices don't necessarily need to be sent to the most recent address, although it would be good practice for a CA to send a dunn notice to any newer addresses they find.

Message 15 of 16
-RED
Regular Contributor

Re: - Hard Pull on Locked Equifax Credit Report..???

The INQ is already gone!

So at this point unless they mail me something, I'm not sure what concerns there might still be for me...

-800 or Bust...!
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.