Hard pull from a rental car agency?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard pull from a rental car agency?

I was looking at one of my credit reports tonight and saw this -

Reported on 5/15/2010 by Equifax

DOLLARRENTACAR

Since when do rental companies pull your credit report? 

I rented a car from this company when I was in FL then.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Hard pull from a rental car agency?

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking at one of my credit reports tonight and saw this -

Reported on 5/15/2010 by Equifax

DOLLARRENTACAR

Since when do rental companies pull your credit report? 

I rented a car from this company when I was in FL then.

They'll pull your credit when you pre~authorize a rental with only a debit card, rather than a credit card.   Pretty much every car rental company operates this way.    Here's a similar post:    http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Hertz-Rental-company/m-p/1342399#M161028

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

pizzadude is correct. This is from the Dollar website:

Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

Message 3 of 7
ceejx
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

pizzadude is correct. This is from the Dollar website:

Debit Card Usage: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc. This type of inquiry will screen out customers who present a greater driving risk to us, using a standard set of criteria. In the event that a customer's debit card check and credit inquiry fail to meet our debit card criteria, the customer will not be allowed to rent unless they provide a major credit card in their own name. Our debit card policy complies with all applicable U.S. federal and state laws. Debit cards are accepted for payment at the end of rental without a credit inquiry. Debit cards may not be accepted in Canada except for payment at the end of rental. Since credit requirements vary by location, please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on the acceptance and usage of debit cards where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle.

Isn't this a perfect example of when they should be doing a SP? The point of HP is to notify future lenders that you are attempting to get credit, so they can determine if you're on a credit spree and therefore are an increased risk, I'm lost at how attempting to rent a car consitutes an increase risk that should lower your score... 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. Guess I should read the fine print!  I agree that this should be a SP instead of a hard.

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info. Guess I should read the fine print!  I agree that this should be a SP instead of a hard.

I couldn't agree more.

Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I rented from Avis over the weekend and decided to pre-pay online with a debit card. I went to pick it up and they told me they cannot charge tax online in the prepayment, and that I had to pay the $70 or so with a CC. I presented a debit and they said they'd accept it, but they'd pre-authorize $200 and run a soft pull to the CR. The terms were in bold behind the counter. I opted to use a CC for the remaining balance rather than pre-auth $200 and a pull The clerk was adamant that it was a SP and was adamant that it wouldn't impact my credit. I guess they had some folks complain before. FYI, FWIW.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.