cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardship Letter with Credit Card companies

tag
JstMahoney

Hardship Letter with Credit Card companies

• Hi, due to current state of things, I have been thinking of filing for bankrupcy, or Request to some big credit cards to settle for a lesser ammount to pay off. I have a few questions though. Has anyone had any luck with  with the credit card conpaines listed below? How till this effect my credit score? Most frustrating part for me is that I have lots of equity in my home but it doesnt seem like anyone wants to take a chance on me caue my DTI is too high. Which is the problem! high intrest credit cards/payments are killing me. A nice HELOC would resolve the problem. Credit cards in concideration are : 
  • Costco Citicards 
  • Capital One 
  • Bank of america
  • Golden 1 Credit Union
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Hardship Letter with Credit Card companies

Have these accounts been charged off? 

Message 2 of 4
JstMahoney

@Remedios wrote:

I'm planning on writing hardship letters to them. Asking to settle the debt for less 

Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@JstMahoney wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I'm planning on writing hardship letters to them. Asking to settle the debt for less 

Well, that cannot be done. 

You can write letters but balance on current accounts isn't a subject to negotiation. That's outlined in your cardmember agreement. 

Only charged off accounts may be settled for less than owned. 

Hardship doesn't come into play unless there is natural disaster or such, otherwise why would anyone pay off balances if they can just pay part of it and call it a day.  

So, is that  a "yes, charged off, writting to settle" or not? 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.