Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used Samsung Financing?

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Has anyone used Samsung Financing?

I get a deal on a pre-ordered Note8 and there is a 0% option with samsung finance. I won't use the option if it is either an HP or reports to CR's. Any experince?

gfgffgretre.jpg

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone used Samsung Financing?

No experience but can almost guarantee that's there will be a HP and most likely report.

Message 2 of 15
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No experience but can almost guarantee that's there will be a HP and most likely report.

Thanks Irish

I did more research and found " Samsung Financing Program Account issued by TD Bank, N.A."

TD bank = HP and I am firmly planted (9 months app free / 1 account in the last 15 months) so I just shelled out the cash. Will have the phone Oct 8.

Message 3 of 15
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I have phones financed with AT&T with their Next program and they were not a HP and do not show up on my reports.

Message 4 of 15
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

If not in a hurry to buy a phone, wait for a few more weeks and buy a new one with a large discount on black Friday...

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 5 of 15
elim
Senior Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

If not in a hurry to buy a phone, wait for a few more weeks and buy a new one with a large discount on black Friday...

Probably the smart thing to do. But, anyone who owned the (exploding) Note 7 get's a little extra from Samsung on a pre-order. Not enough in my book but It's done.

Thanks for the reply

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not only would this be a HP and result in the account reporting to the CRAs, but there's a very good chance that it would be coded as a consumer finance account. These types of accounts can have long lasting negative impacts on your credit score
Message 7 of 15
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Why does a consumer finance account degrade Fico score? Is it also the case if purchasing phones, etc. from some carriers like Verizon or AT&T (monthly payments requiring HP)?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFAs have historically been viewed as "last resort" lines of credit, even if that isn't really the case today.  As a result, they are adversely looked upon by the FICO algorithm.  Many people have reported the negative reason code, "Presence of a consumer finance account" as a factor hurting their score.

If one is considering a purchase at a store and taking on a CFA to do it, they're better off using a 0% CC offer or similar means to make the purchase.  Same end result cost wise, but not long lasting negative impact to your credit scores.  Some feel that CFAs can even adversely impact score after the account is closed, as long as it is still on your credit report.  This means that for 10 years following the closure of a CFA in theory it could still be negatively impacting your score.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xenon3030 wrote:

Why does a consumer finance account degrade Fico score? Is it also the case if purchasing phones, etc. from some carriers like Verizon or AT&T (monthly payments requiring HP)?

No, because those payment arrangements do not report as an account to the CRAs, therefore it can not be considered a CFA

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.