Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a credit score buffer.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a credit score buffer.

People are always saying that you don't need to have a credit score in the 800s but having a score at least 760 is good enough but I was thinking that your score has to be a little bit higher than that just in case in case it goes down a little bit.

what do you guys/girls think.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Having a credit score buffer.

I always found the credit score needed to get the best rates subjective because the banks decide what they consider prime. I personally think anything above 720 is good enough but 760 covers your bases; again, my opinion as a disclaimer. As for a buffer I don't like getting into that mindset because then you try to optimize your scores whether that's AZEO or what have you.

If it helps you keep to a schedule as far as paying things off and wanting to see score movement then go for it. I do not begrudge people finding ways to stay on the path to keep their scores high.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated in the previous reply, it's all lender-specific as far as their cutoff score for the best product at the best rate(s).  Whatever that number is, 720, 740, 760 etc. I would say it would be wise to have a score of 25-30 points higher than that in order to be able to absorb the addition of a new account from time to time and still be able to achieve that best product under the best terms.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought and I was only asking because my local bank requires a minimum of 760 to get the best interest rates in a mortgage loan.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you talking 760 for middle mortgage score?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.