cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Capital One is not following through on their end of the settlement offer

tag
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Help! Capital One is not following through on their end of the settlement offer

I'd say dispute it where it hasn't updated properly and see what happens.  Did you get your settlement in writing?
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! Capital One is not following through on their end of the settlement offer

@modernsurrender wrote:
I'd say dispute it where it hasn't updated properly and see what happens. Did you get your settlement in writing?

Yes, I did get a copy of the settlement letter and have it on file.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing happened to me with a sallie mae loan. I settled for less and they didnt update. I just disputed the CRA and they reported back as a zero balance. As long as you have the paid in full letter you should be ok. If you dispute with CRA and they say you owe balance then fax them paid letter and see what they say. Never throw away that letter even after it is resolved. They could come back and try to collect years from now , hoping maybe youve lost the letter then youd be screwed. CYA
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah Cap one did the same thing to me.  I paid the account off in full, than got a letter saying the card was closed.  Next month I got a bill for 29 dollars membership fee.  I called Cap one and they said the account was never closed but there is a restriction on the account and I could not use the available balance.  I asked for the account to be closed, and I was not going to pay the 29 membership fee.  I am waiting to see if the card closes and the balance made to 0.  It has been a month now and I am sending a letter to dispute this to all three credit reporting groups.

Michelle
Message 14 of 15
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

Documentation is key.  NCO tried to do that with me, too.  And told me they had no record of a settlement offer.  Had to fax them a copy of the letter they sent me to have them say "Oops.  Ok, we'll close this account as paid right away."
Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.