Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help. Debt Consolidation or Just Pay over Time

tag
Dhani76
New Contributor

Help. Debt Consolidation or Just Pay over Time

Ratio is currently 15% which is highest it's been due to helping my daughter & Xmas. I have been using various rewards cards such as Discover Miles, Savor One & a rewards Visa from my credit union. I have been paying off every month but that will not happen this month. Should I accept the low interest loan from my credit union? They say I am pre approved so no inquiry but we all know it will register as a new trade line on my report. OR just pay it over time? Someone said the mix...as I have cards and a car loan...having a personal loan would help. 
Any thoughts anyone?

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: TU 685 EQ 687 EXP 699
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: Help. Debt Consolidation or Just Pay over Time

While it is true that the "Credit Mix" is maximized by having some sort of installment debt reporting, you seem to have that already covered with your auto loan. 

You'll take a small hit for the new account initially which will eventually level out once the trade line is seasoned and your utilization goes down.  As for whether it's a good idea?  That's depends on a multitude of factors only you can answer.  (Do you need extended time? Are the Cc payments/interest currently too high?  Is it just a utilization issue?)

I, for one, am not at all against playing around from time to time. In the past I've taken out car loans just so I could have that Penfed check in my hand because it makes it SO much easier to close at a dealer.  Makes future approvals with my preferred lenders MUCH easier in my experience. Lots to consider.  

Message 2 of 8
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Dhani76 wrote:

Ratio is currently 15% which is highest it's been due to helping my daughter & Xmas. I have been using various rewards cards such as Discover Miles, Savor One & a rewards Visa from my credit union. I have been paying off every month but that will not happen this month. Should I accept the low interest loan from my credit union? They say I am pre approved so no inquiry but we all know it will register as a new trade line on my report. OR just pay it over time? Someone said the mix...as I have cards and a car loan...having a personal loan would help. 
Any thoughts anyone?

It appears you are not the type that will consolidate just to turn around and run back up the cards, so in your case, a consolidation loan will likely save interest, and get you back to always paying credit cards in full. Just do not let such loans be part of resetting a visceous cycle. Credit cards are best used for rewards, buyer protection, and convenience. They are a terrible instrument for stretching payments over time unless a 15 month at 0% interest card is involved. I have not personally paid a cent in credit card interest in 20 years at least.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 3 of 8
sarchin
Valued Member

After giving debt consolidation some serious thought I went ahead and got a personal loan.  My scores are similar to yours so I'm hoping they'll go up once my utilization, which is around 45% now, is down to AZEO and the loan starts getting paid off.  I took into consideration that it would be at least two years, maybe three to pay everything off. I am making almost twenty payments a month and don't want to risk being late or missing one even though I haven't in over six years. The interest on the loan, while high, is still less than almost all my credit cards. The interest I am currently paying almost makes my loan payment, and this loan will cut my total outlay by at least half.  I'm wanting to get a mortgage in a couple years so I'm cleaning up my profile and this will give me time to save a little more money as well. So, for me, it made sense, not to mention the relief of not having all this on my shoulders almost everyday, every month.  Of course, we're all in different situations so YMMV.  

Peace

Starting Score: ~670
Current Score:~684
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Good plan. 

Message 5 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@sarchin wrote:

After giving debt consolidation some serious thought I went ahead and got a personal loan.  My scores are similar to yours so I'm hoping they'll go up once my utilization, which is around 45% now, is down to AZEO and the loan starts getting paid off.  I took into consideration that it would be at least two years, maybe three to pay everything off. I am making almost twenty payments a month and don't want to risk being late or missing one even though I haven't in over six years. The interest on the loan, while high, is still less than almost all my credit cards. The interest I am currently paying almost makes my loan payment, and this loan will cut my total outlay by at least half.  I'm wanting to get a mortgage in a couple years so I'm cleaning up my profile and this will give me time to save a little more money as well. So, for me, it made sense, not to mention the relief of not having all this on my shoulders almost everyday, every month.  Of course, we're all in different situations so YMMV.  

Peace

Excellent, glad you got it all worked out! 👍

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Dhani76 wrote:

Any thoughts anyone?

1.  My advice would be just pay over time.

2.  I don't think adding a loan will do anything positive for your score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 8
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Dhani76 wrote:

Any thoughts anyone?

With a car loan, a new loan will probably not help your scores.

Looking at ease, safety and money is a different story

It mostly depends on how much money we are talking, and how much time will be needed to pay it off.

Losing a little money in interest if debt can be paid off in months is OK, and is both safe & easy.

If the amount is enough to require more than a year, maybe a loan is wise.

Could save money, pay debt over a longer period and lower interest.

A loan however has a hidden danger of making it easy to run up cards again. (less safe)

For me it would depend on how much $ and time you are talking about.

15% of 300,000 is quite different the 15% of 5,000

and needing 2 years to pay it back is much different than 6 months.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.