cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - How do I find out the original creditor from a CA for a debt I don't recognize?

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Help - How do I find out the original creditor from a CA for a debt I don't recognize?

There is a two year old collection on my TU file that I don't recognize.  I have DV it twice, only to be told the SS# matches.

I have no clue what this is, and the CA claims this is mine.  It's a medical debt for $98, but it's not mine (I have insurance, always pays for everything). 

I would contact the OC, but I don't know who they are, since that info does not appear on my credit file.  How do I get this information if I'm not supposed to call the CA?
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

Re: Help - How do I find out the original creditor from a CA for a debt I don't recognize?

Did you DV the CA or dispute it with the CRA? If you DV'd the CA, they should have included the OC in their response.

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Help - How do I find out the original creditor from a CA for a debt I don't recognize?

I wrote a letter to the CA months ago, but did not send it with a return receipt, nor did I get a response.  I have disputed it with TU twice, only to be told the CA has my SS#.  I NEVER give my SS# to anyone, other than the IRS or the credit card companies with whom I have applied for credit. 
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.