Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Vacating a Judgment

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Help Vacating a Judgment

I have a judgment on my CR from a near-eviction. I have negotiated with the Landlord's CA to only pay 40% of the original balance, I'll be making that payment this week. My plan is to meet the Landlord's CA at the courthouse, so I can watch him file the Release/Satisfaction paperwork.

Once that is done, I have read on this forum that I then need to get a judge to vacate the judgment in order to get it removed from my CR, which will enable me to rent again (man, has it been hard finding decent places to live with a landlord judgment on the CR), but I assume it will also raise my score.

Does anyone have any experience in successfully petitioning a judge to file the Vacate of Judgment?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help Vacating a Judgment

I know someone has successfully vacated a court judgment before, any tips on how to do it?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never done it, but the procedure can be different in each jurisdiction.  Call the clerk's office at the court and ask how it works.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:
I've never done it, but the procedure can be different in each jurisdiction.  Call the clerk's office at the court and ask how it works.

Agreed.  Every state and municipality is different, so check with the clerk's office at the court to find out what you need to do.

Once the judgement has been paid and the creditor files the paperwork to indicate that the judgement has been satisfied, the entry will still stay on your credit report.  
If you're already making a deal with landlord about the judgement, instead of getting him/her to file a "motion to satisfy", would s/he be willing to file paperwork to dismiss the lawsuit?  That can also get the judgement removed from your CR.

EDITED!

Hi JennLewis:

Sorry to let you know that I have edited your post because it violates FICO Forums Guidelines and Terms of Service, which prohibit: posting links to other credit repair web sites.

Refer to our Guidelines and Terms of Service for more information.

Please feel free to post a revised message – we value your contributions!

Thanks for your help in keeping the FICO Forums a friendly, productive environment for all members.

-----

Fused

Message Edited by fused111 on 09-18-2007 10:46 AM

Message Edited by fused111 on 09-18-2007 10:47 AM
Message 4 of 5
ReachingForTheStars

Hi. I had a near-eviction on my report for nearly 8 years. Until late last year, I could care less about my scores, so I just ignored it . . . I guess I was lucky that I never got garnished or anything. Anyway, the judgement was showing as $0 and $1 on the CRs, so I was looking around on myFico, and read about the vacate process. Called Clerk of Courts in Chicago, and they told me to contact the landlord, which I did. They contacted their attorney, who called me, I sent a letter via email, and they processed all the paperwork for me. The whole process took about a week, and I got the VOJ on my b-day. It updated (dropped off) my CR within the same month; and my scores increased 30/35/39. Very happy - best of luck to you.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.