cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please...sort of in high anxiety mini panick

vudoo
New Visitor

Help please...sort of in high anxiety mini panick

I store a lot of PDF files of financial documents on a back up drive.   Usally does not go anywhere but I needed it so I took it with me and then lost it!!!   What do I now.  I probablly have statements on there from retirement accounts and bank statements.   Probablly some email address but no paswords included I do not think.   But there is a chance that one has my SSN number on it with birthdate. 

AM I SCREWED?   Please help.

Credit secure?  I need 24 hr alerts.

MyFICO? does it do 24 hour monitoring.

Most of the google articles out there state that credit monitoring is waste of money but I need it , I think.   

Help me work there the dense amount of information out there.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Help please...sort of in high anxiety mini panick

@vudoo wrote:

I store a lot of PDF files of financial documents on a back up drive.   Usally does not go anywhere but I needed it so I took it with me and then lost it!!!   What do I now.  I probablly have statements on there from retirement accounts and bank statements.   Probablly some email address but no paswords included I do not think.   But there is a chance that one has my SSN number on it with birthdate. 

Most of the google articles out there state that credit monitoring is waste of money but I need it , I think.   

If you think that vital information has been compromised, I'd call each credit reporting agency and put a freeze on your reports.  That way, if anyone tries to open anything in your name, it cannot be completed without a call or some contact with you.

Personally, I don't think somrthing along the lines of a monitoring product would be a waste.  I have Scorewatch through here, I have a subscription to Equifax through their site, and I use credit check total to get a new report from all 3 every day.  This is probably a little overkill, but I am watching for some bad stuff to get removed, so this is my choice.  For now, you might want to try CCT.  You sign up & get a 3 in 1 report.  You have, I believe, a week or 10 days to cancel.  Often times, when people call to cancel, they offer the product for less.  Anywho...after the first week, if you keep it, you can then get a new report every day.  The week during the trial period, the reports do not update...only after the trial period ends.

Hope this helps!!  Good luck tracking down your lost info!!! 

Starting Score: 02/2015 TU 709 - EQ 676 - EX 729
Current Score: 12/2017 TU 779 - EQ 779 - EX 782
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 07.27.17

Message 2 of 3
O6
Senior Contributor

Re: Help please...sort of in high anxiety mini panick

@BungalowMo wrote:

@vudoo wrote:

If you think that vital information has been compromised, I'd call each credit reporting agency and put a freeze on your reports.  That way, if anyone tries to open anything in your name, it cannot be completed without a call or some contact with you.

Personally, I don't think somrthing along the lines of a monitoring product would be a waste.  I have Scorewatch through here, I have a subscription to Equifax through their site, and I use credit check total to get a new report from all 3 every day.  This is probably a little overkill, but I am watching for some bad stuff to get removed, so this is my choice.  For now, you might want to try CCT.  You sign up & get a 3 in 1 report.  You have, I believe, a week or 10 days to cancel.  Often times, when people call to cancel, they offer the product for less.  Anywho...after the first week, if you keep it, you can then get a new report every day.  The week during the trial period, the reports do not update...only after the trial period ends.

Hope this helps!!  Good luck tracking down your lost info!!! 

+100

Also, I know all of my statements only show partial account numbers, but if you feel there is any chance that sensitive information has been compromised, you might want to take steps such as fraud alerts and having new account numbers issued.

IAALBNYL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.