Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with an almost 10 yr old Cap1 CC still on CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with an almost 10 yr old Cap1 CC still on CR

I am new here and like a ton of others I have found this lovely gem and have been non-stop reading so many different topics and advice. Started trying to rebuild my credit about 1 1/2 months ago. However I am not positive on what I should do with this (hopefully) last charge-off account. It's an old Captial One Credit Card. I'll post information below, let me know if you need anymore. Any information would be super helpful! I recently disputed this account through Equifax asking them to verfiy correct information because it's still on my credit report and I have never paid on this account. (Young and dumb at the time) These are the results I received from Equifax today. They said creditor verified dates are reporting correctly. And the Closed date was modified.

Captial One Credit Card

Acct #: XXXXXXXX
Opened: 9/1/06
High Credit: $684
Credit Limit: $5.00
Activity Designator: Paid & Closed 
Items as of date reported as of 2/5/2020
Balance amout: $0
Past Due Amount: $0
Last date of Payment: 10/2009
Actual payment amount: $0
Scheduled payment amount: $0
Date of first Deliquincy: (blank)
Date of Last Activity: 10/2009
Date Closed: 7/2010

Additional info:
Customer disputes -reinvestigation in progress 
Customer disputes this account

Closed or paid account/zero balance

So this information is not right! I was young and dumb when I got this card. Never paid a cent on it. Ran it up and left it. It's been so long other things have fallen off my account by now and others I have been successfully been able to remove. I actually called Cap1 at the beginning of this month and spoke to someone she was awesome and didnt know why it was showing I paid on the account and it was in good standing pay wise and why it was still reporting. She also said she couldnt find this account probably because it was so old. She put in her own dispute on Capital Ones end and said theres no reason this should still be on your credit report! Then find out today that my other 2 disputes were deleted and this one just updated wrong information still! Any help would be super appreciated! Sorry this is so long! Equifax is my lowest score and its keeping me under 700 when my other 2 are over 700. Funny thing is I just was approved for a Cap1 QuicksilverOne the middle of January. Go figure

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with an almost 10 yr old Cap1 CC still on CR

By the latest date listed for closure it would automatically come off by 8/2020.  However, I'm failing to see why you want it removed if it not showing any negative information.  Currently as it stands its offering you a positive 14 years to your overall credit age.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 2 of 34
Remedios
Credit Mentor

OP, if there are no negatives, why did you dispute it?

Unless you have other accounts as old as this one, it's helping you. 

Leave it alone and hope it doesnt get removed any time soon. 

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright I guess this shows how new I am! I thought because it should of already been off my report because it's actually not accurately recording my payment or lack there of really. The only other account I have is an AU that's like 14 years and 3 months old, other than that everything is off. I just thought it looked bad to still have a closed account on my CR. Geez I need to keep reading, thank you so much for replying!! 

Message 4 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all good, OP. Just remember If any account that's closed in good standing it will definitely help your CR/age.

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I will just let it fall off then. Appreciate the help guys!

Message 6 of 34
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Am I misunderstanding?  The OP says its a charge off.  How would this be considered positive information?

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

It confuses me, it's a charge off. Closed by cap 1. I have never paid but somehow have 100% payment history so I guess that makes it look good on my CR? But the part about how they closed it and obviously not ne confuses me too.

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Does it show charge off on your CR? Pull your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and see if it reflects charge off or not, if it doesn’t leave it alone like everyone says.
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Birdman7 i did pull my CR so I'm waiting on that, I used the $1 trial from CCT the other day and Experian says closed account/paid 0 balance, Equifax as of 2/5 says Open/pays account as agrees/0 balance and TU doesnt have it on there? I wonder if it says open on Eq because it was in dispute and finished disput with updated info that says paid and closed/ acct closed by credit grantor 0 balance. It did used to say charge off so maybe they changed that also

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.