Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest score w/o installment; only revolving accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highest score w/o installment; only revolving accounts

Hi, I was just wondering -- for those of you that were never interested in/needed loans or opened installment accounts and only have revolvers (credit cards), what's the highest credit score you've achieved? Is it possible to go 825+ FICO without them? I saw credit mix was 10% of the FICO score, and assuming 5% of 850 for revolvers/5% for installment, I figure it might be impossible? Obviously not how it's calculated, but just led me to wonder what the highest someone has achieved without installment accounts is.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Highest score w/o installment; only revolving accounts

My last installment loan closed in 2014, just hit 803. AAoA is near 5 yrs, oldest account on file 10.25 yrs.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you are collecting DPs, prior to adding installment accounts the highest I went was 804.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. Seems like there are consistent datapoints of people going above 800, but highest so far is in the low 800s?

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

820-830 would be easily possible, although I'm sure there are data points out there higher than that.

Are you talking a CR with no installment loan present at all (even closed), or simply no open installment loan?  These would be two very different situations that could of course yield 2 different scores, all other things being equal. 

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

820-830 would be easily possible, although I'm sure there are data points out there higher than that.

Are you talking a CR with no installment loan present at all (even closed), or simply no open installment loan?  These would be two very different situations that could of course yield 2 different scores, all other things being equal. 

You've seen DP of 820-830 with only revolvers? I mean never opened an installment loan ever. Highest credit scores with only revolving credit cards on file.

Message 6 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I have only credit cards. My classic scores…

FICO 04/98

• EQ FICO 5: 810
  • TU FICO 4: 808
  • EX FICO 2: 825

FICO 8

• EQ: 818
  • TU: 815
  • EX: 814

FICO 9

• EQ: 832
  • TU: 817
  • EX: 820
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I have only credit cards. My classic scores…

FICO 04/98

• EQ FICO 5: 810
  • TU FICO 4: 808
  • EX FICO 2: 825

FICO 8

• EQ: 818
  • TU: 815
  • EX: 814

FICO 9

• EQ: 832
  • TU: 817
  • EX: 820

Wow, that's amazing. Can you give some of your basic stats like # accounts, age, and inquiries?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You've seen DP of 820-830 with only revolvers? I mean never opened an installment loan ever. Highest credit scores with only revolving credit cards on file.

Well, many people reference a 25-30 point drop if they close out their only [optimized] installment loan.  If such a person possessed an 850 score with the loan present, dropping to the range I suggested above would be about right.

Of course, you're talking maybe 1% of the population that has an 850 score (or that would have an 850 score if an optimized loan were added) so you may be looking at about 1% of the population that may have the 820-830 score that I referenced. 

Not ever having a loan means no closed loan possible on the CR, so credit mix wouldn't have a chance to be satisfied, making it more difficult to grab that higher score compared to someone that has one on their CR, just no open loans.

There were times 10 years ago or so when I had no open installment loans (but did have closed ones) and my scores where 790-80x and that was with just 1 revolver.  While I can't be sure of my age of accounts factors at the time, AoOA would have been about 8 years and AAoA maybe half that.  

Message 9 of 18
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

I have never had any debt other than credit cards.

Once, 19 months ago, I had Equifax at 809 when my utilization was 2%. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.