cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold my beer... Watch This!! (Help needed)

tag
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Hold my beer... Watch This!! (Help needed)

Okay so,

Me and my fiance recently moved in.. (okay not my fiance but my GF) we have a sweet little 10month old daughter together. Her medicaid coverage ended and I have our daughter under my insurance. I am 18 my GF is 19..

She does not work. My employer's dental and medical cannot cover her under common law spouse because our state in which we reside does not recognize Domestic Partnerships nor Common Law Spouse (Mississippi).

She needs dental work done bad (ASAP) cannot afford any waiting periods with individual policies plus w/ Cigna it would cover 90% of the procedure. 

I do not want to get married eventually yes but I am very young right now and it would not be the right choice as much as I love and care for her. So... 

I currently have 0% offers on all my credit cards except American Eagle and Cap1... look in siggy.

The job costs 3.4k for Root Canal and In-lay blah blah. It is bad.

Would it be terrible if I financed the job with these new CCs??????????????

I do not want to apply for their finance credit installment because I cannot take anymore Inqs and afraid I won't be given the full amount for the procedure.

Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
cottontop
Contributor

Re: Hold my beer... Watch This!! (Help needed)

If you are close to Memphis, check the dental school.  One of my employee's used them quite a bit in the past.

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 2 of 21
Cageym
Established Contributor

It will certainly lower your scores since your util is going to go up. And I agree, check with dental schools. My Aunt had the AC go out in her car (I know, not the same thing) and I advised her to check the local tech college. Saved her a lot of money.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 3 of 21
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions! Hmm have not thought about that are their prices significantly lower than offices?

I got quotes from 4-5 different specialty office and they were about 100-200 difference. 

Message 4 of 21
cottontop
Contributor

Free or very little charge.  Gotta practice Smiley Tongue

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 5 of 21
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@cottontop wrote:

If you are close to Memphis, check the dental school.  One of my employee's used them quite a bit in the past.

+1

I have no direct experience with this but....here in L.A. the USC dental school provides a LOT of free or close to free work for people.  The professors all oversee everything (cause they don't want to get sued) and people say the work is every bit if not better than their regular dentists.  It can save you thousands.

Its worth a phone call and a hotel room if need be imo.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 21
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

some part of me wants to ask why kids are having kids but I wont go there. That said, I would absolutely see if there are dental schools. The debt is under your name and while love is forever, even life surprises you...........

Message 7 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 21
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I think your credit is going to take a major hit, no matter what. 

It's regretable, because you are so young and have obviously worked hard to establish those credit lines. 

On the other hand: You have an emergency - and that is what credit is for !!

If it is at all possible, try shopping around for a dentist who will work with you on the price and a payment plan.  Even if it means temporarily sinking one of your cards, to finance the down payment, it's better than waiting for the dental problem to become a full-blown medical issue.

You seem to have a very mature sense of responsibility - I'm sure you will successfully negotiate this predicament and emerge the stronger for it.

Best wishes for your future success !!

Message 9 of 21
Rackham94
Established Contributor

wrote:

I think your credit is going to take a major hit, no matter what. 

It's regretable, because you are so young and have obviously worked hard to establish those credit lines. 

On the other hand: You have an emergency - and that is what credit is for !!

If it is at all possible, try shopping around for a dentist who will work with you on the price and a payment plan.  Even if it means temporarily sinking one of your cards, to finance the down payment, it's better than waiting for the dental problem to become a full-blown medical issue.

You seem to have a very mature sense of responsibility - I'm sure you will successfully negotiate this predicament and emerge the stronger for it.

Best wishes for your future success !!

Thank you for your kind words NonSufficientFunds, you definitely have put things in perspective for me. I do have an emergency and I think the best route is to find the best rate at a lower end dental center like previous posters have suggested and paying in full perhaps even it means taking some out of my emergency savings... it is just one of those things that require to break the bank a bit. I definitely do not want to ruin my score so early. I still want to get an AMEX preferably next year or so..

I will PIF out of my high yielding savings and save my credit and penny pinch and live frugal in the meantime until my next raise in September Smiley Very Happy

Thank you all for your insightful responses!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.