Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrors..Accidently Got A Late First Time Since Rebuild

tag
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Horrors..Accidently Got A Late First Time Since Rebuild

Don't know how in the world I had this oversight as vigilantly as I monitor my credit since rebuilding since 2018.

I know it's not the end of the world but it Shook me and I have beat myself up over this negligence.

I was checking an CC account to see if it cut yet as I always do with my 11 accounts and saw a late fee of 25 dollars and I was How is this possible? I cross the T's and dot the I's with all my accounts but the payment I wrote down for this account I had not actually initiated after going through my records and notes.

Late fee was added on the 15th 2 days after Due Date and statement will cut tonight. (Always cuts on the 18th but I was just checking to see if short month of Feb affected it differently because some of my cards statement cut a day or 2 earlier this month).

Payment was due on the 13th of the month and I was checking on the 17th when I realized the mishap. I paid today on the 17th after realizing it.

Now I know it's only 4 days late and will not affect my credit score (far from 30 day late reporting) but I was wondering should I call my CC company and explain what happened to see if something could be done to erase the late because I don't know how it would affect me on the CC internal scores that I believe they all have?

Paid this account Perfectly for 3 1/2 years and 90% of the time PIF.

Anyone experienced this type of mishap or have thoughts on if I should do anything?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Horrors..Accidently Got A Late First Time Since Rebuild

Things happen, given you've had a good payment history with them I would definitely call to see if they'd be willing to waive the late fee. You certainly have nothing to lose at all by doing so.

Message 2 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

All my CC's have min payment set up to pull just in case a scenario like this happens to me.   Might want to consider doing this.

Message 3 of 9
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

Things happen, given you've had a good payment history with them I would definitely call to see if they'd be willing to waive the late fee. You certainly have nothing to lose at all by doing so.

+1

Most lenders will waive the late fee as a one-time courtesy if it was your first time.  Definitely give them a call.

TCL: $401.4k
Message 4 of 9
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Iusedtolurk  You should be fine!

Your due date was on 15th, therefore you're late 2 days when you paid! For this to report on credit bureaus you must be late 30 days.

Also if this is your 1st time in this year, you probably can get that $25 refunded.

No worries!

Message 5 of 9
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

Don't know how in the world I had this oversight as vigilantly as I monitor my credit since rebuilding since 2018.

I know it's not the end of the world but it Shook me and I have beat myself up over this negligence.

I was checking an CC account to see if it cut yet as I always do with my 11 accounts and saw a late fee of 25 dollars and I was How is this possible? I cross the T's and dot the I's with all my accounts but the payment I wrote down for this account I had not actually initiated after going through my records and notes.

Late fee was added on the 15th 2 days after Due Date and statement will cut tonight. (Always cuts on the 18th but I was just checking to see if short month of Feb affected it differently because some of my cards statement cut a day or 2 earlier this month).

Payment was due on the 13th of the month and I was checking on the 17th when I realized the mishap. I paid today on the 17th after realizing it.

Now I know it's only 4 days late and will not affect my credit score (far from 30 day late reporting) but I was wondering should I call my CC company and explain what happened to see if something could be done to erase the late because I don't know how it would affect me on the CC internal scores that I believe they all have?

Anyone experienced this type of mishap or have thoughts on if I should do anything?

Putting your accounts on autopay prevents this sort of thing.

Message 6 of 9
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Iusedtolurk wrote:

Wanted to shoot an update....

Called my Cedit Card company about the late fee and they swiftly adjusted it and updated my account the next day.

Message 7 of 9
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

@Iusedtolurk - that's excellent news!

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 8 of 9
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Iusedtolurk This is why I practice AZEO, it keeps my debt consolidated and is hard to miss. I suggest you start using autopay(min).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.