Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hospital Collections

tag
NeedingAChange
Established Member

Hospital Collections

I'm still kinda new to the posting so if I'm in the wrong catagory, I apologize in advance.

I'm trying to help my sister clean up her credit since I'm getting somewhat on track and we pulled her credit report and she has 3 collections for hospital bills that should have been taken care of by her insurance company(she had medicaid). One of them is in the image below.

Is there anything she can do?

TiffBill.PNG

NeedingAChange
Starting: 512 CreditKarma (TU) - 1/6/2015
Current 08/10/2016 - MyFico (EX) - 600, CreditKarma - 587(TU), 574(EQ), & 575(EX)
Goal: 700+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hospital Collections

The only thing that you might be able to do at this point is contact this "ARS Account Resolution" and see if they will settle out for, let's say, around $200.00. GET IT IN WRITING before handing over a debit card number. The letter or email MUST say that $200.00 (example) will settle the account in full and will be reported to the 3 credit bureaus as PIF within 30 days of received payment.

Repeat the process for the other 2.

P.S. Play a little hard ball on the settlement dollar amount numbers. I had to tell a place "Oh well, I guess you are not getting anything then" said " Have a good day" and hang up. Guess who got a phone call back 2 hours later accepting the amount I proposed?

One thing to note is that these places buy these debts at a few cents on a dollar, so even at $200.00, they are still making a profit.... which is all they care about. And I wasn't afraid to tell them I knew that either. LOL

Message 2 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I work for a hospital part time. I see this a lot with patients complaining. I would try to go to the hospital billing dept and offer to pay them. Most hospitals will give a discount to pay off a debt. Mine is 25%. Many get confused thinking insurance will pay for something until it is coded to insurance companies and they will only pay what the contract says with the hospital. Its all up to how it is submitted in a code per say to the insurance comapny. Then maybe the hospital will tell the CA they got paid and they're cancelled.

Message 3 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Don't overlook the REbuilding subforum.  Generally you want removals where possible.  You might also want to take a look at whychat's HIPAA method (Google to find).

Message 4 of 8
NeedingAChange
Established Member

@takeshi74 wrote:

Don't overlook the REbuilding subforum.  Generally you want removals where possible.  You might also want to take a look at whychat's HIPAA method (Google to find).

Thanks! I'll check it out.

NeedingAChange
Current 08/10/2016 - MyFico (EX) - 600, CreditKarma - 587(TU), 574(EQ), & 575(EX)
Message 5 of 8
NeedingAChange
Established Member

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I work for a hospital part time. I see this a lot with patients complaining. I would try to go to the hospital billing dept and offer to pay them. Most hospitals will give a discount to pay off a debt. Mine is 25%. Many get confused thinking insurance will pay for something until it is coded to insurance companies and they will only pay what the contract says with the hospital. Its all up to how it is submitted in a code per say to the insurance comapny. Then maybe the hospital will tell the CA they got paid and they're cancelled.

Thanks. The only reason I say it was supposed to be covered is because her medicaid covered everything. There is not way to have it checked is there? Or resubmitted? I'm guessing its too late for that.

NeedingAChange
Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Actually. Your lucky medicaid paid for what they did. Here no one even takes it. Forget a MD even. Hospitals want to get paid and will set up many ways to pay off a bill.

Message 7 of 8
NeedingAChange
Established Member

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Actually. Your lucky medicaid paid for what they did. Here no one even takes it. Forget a MD even. Hospitals want to get paid and will set up many ways to pay off a bill.

Thanks! I'll let her know to call the hospital.

NeedingAChange
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.