Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I LOCK Bureaus?

tag
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

How Do I LOCK Bureaus?

I'm about to request a CLI on Bloomingdale's and was warned they occasionally sneak a HP... How and Where can I LOCK them? Can I lock all 3 at a single website?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: How Do I LOCK Bureaus?

You may have to go to each bureau to freeze. I am unaware of an all in one portal.

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

there's a diffeerence between a lock and a freeze.  A lock usually costs some fee, and comes with the convenience of being able to lock and unlock with a code.  A freeze doesn't (usually) charge for freezing, but temporary unfreezing requires (in some cases) a request to the credit card bureau. However, both accomplish the same result.

Both will restrict access and HPs.  Both are done by the individual reporting agencies (sign up) and i doubt there's a simple way to do all three.

When I've opened a credit line i usually ask which one the lender is using and unfreeze that one for a few days.

Message 3 of 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Charmante wrote:

I'm about to request a CLI on Bloomingdale's and was warned they occasionally sneak a HP... How and Where can I LOCK them? Can I lock all 3 at a single website?

I lock EQ and TU through TU's basic "el cheapo" service .. and lock EX through EX paid 3B.

I personally like "Lock" better than "Freeze" as it just makes things more simple.

Now if I had someone trying to "steal" my Identity (or fraud issues) ..then "freeze" would be justified.

JMHO

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.