Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Monitor Your Credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Do You Monitor Your Credit?

New to this and it seems like Credit Karma isn't the most accurate, but it is free. How do you monitor your credit, for those trying to rebuild? 

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Do You Monitor Your Credit?

Hi Annie,

Welcome to the forums! I use Credit Karma, which is off by around 10-30 points for TU and EQ. If you make an account with Experian on their website or app, you'll have access to EX, which is updated monthly for free(?). I think they give you a free week trial as well if you are a new member so you'd have access to all 3 for a time. Also, you are allowed a free credit report annually via the government but they use a third party for that.

Hope that helps!   

Message 2 of 13
calyx
Super Contributor

I use experian.com/creditchecktotal.com (same people) to monitor my FICO8s and credit reports.

I do the trials (free or $1 depending on what they're offering), pull my scores and "downgrade" back to free and just rinse and repeat as necessary.
I also have accounts on CreditKarma (TU & EQ) and Wallethub (TU - daily) just for monitoring, I don't look at the scores, except to make fun of them Smiley Happy

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 13
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I use CreditKarma/CreditSesame to moniter for Vantage Scores and some specific details CreditSesame puts but I have my MyFICO I use for Monitering as well as Experian that I use and every year I do my AnnualReport sorry can't remember the name of the OFFICIAL site but please be sure you use that one (It is FREE) but you can only do it once a year for a COMPLETE breakdown to best keep an eye I use them for different information but it's great for if one thing pops up on one of them you can get ahead of it or keep a better eye on what is being and what isn't popping up too Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma and WalletHub for monitoring and then I pull my scores from Experian.com for $1 once a month or so.

Message 5 of 13
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Like others have said: credit karma for checking activity, the score is meaningless, but they update weekly so you can make sure nothing unexpected pops up. (I think my VS3 score is 60-80pts lower than Fico8 because it doesn't count my closed auto for some reason)

AnnualCreditReport for full 3b files once a year (free).

I really like myFico for all the extensive score models and breakdowns they show. I bought the 3b once for a baseline when I entered the garden and I'll be buying it again right before I app for mortgage.

Discover offers free EX8 once a month, for everyone not just cardholders. If you have their card you also get TU8 when your statement cuts.
Message 6 of 13
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I pull montly (twice monthly from AMEX) FICO scores from Wells Fargo, Citi, Discover and AMEX for free based on my relationship with them, and that covers the three major credit bureaus.  See my signature for more specific detials.  I also use all the Vantage based score websites such as WalletHub and Credit Karma.  They are great for credit alerts.  

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma for monitoring and the $1 Experian trial when I want to see my actual scores. (Generally a few times per year.)

Message 8 of 13
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@LakeLife wrote:

I pull montly (twice monthly from AMEX) FICO scores   

Is there a trick to get your score twice monthly from Amex? Mine only updates monthly.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 9 of 13
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@LakeLife wrote:

I pull montly (twice monthly from AMEX) FICO scores from Wells Fargo, Citi, Discover and AMEX for free based on my relationship with them, and that covers the three major credit bureaus.  See my signature for more specific detials.  I also use all the Vantage based score websites such as WalletHub and Credit Karma.  They are great for credit alerts.  

That is super smart for setting up the Citi for Eq Amex for Ex etc I may follow you on this Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.