cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How/Does an apartment late fee have an effect on future rental history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How/Does an apartment late fee have an effect on future rental history?

i havent had any lates on anything on my credit report as far back as 10 years at least.. I've lived in this apartment complex for 8 years with perfect payment history. Somewhere there was an error where my payment did not go through. THis happened in May and July..The system showed 0 balance and i had no idea. never got any message or warning. I was just told today that i owe that and 2 months worth of late fees.. no idea what happened but i'm wondering how long this may have an affect on future renting an apartment or buying a home.  i've heard 24 months and i dont plan on making any moves within 24 months. i'm assuming this may pop on a rental history. so maybe no big deal. the landlord just said "dont worry about it" as far as if it would cause any future problems. thx in advance

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: How/Does an apartment late fee have an effect on future rental history?

@Anonymous wrote:

the landlord just said "dont worry about it" as far as if it would cause any future problems. 

Of course, the landlord says not to worry about it. It isn't his credit!

I am unclear if this is being reported to any of the credit bureaus. If you paid your rent on time then why are you being charged late fees? Do you have a receipt or check to prove when your rent was paid? I would not let this drop until you are satisfied this will not adversely affect your credit history and not just take the word of your landlord.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i dont think it's gonna be reported to a CB. I put in my info using the online payment portal... everything looked good on my end. But for some reason at some point, the payment wasnt accepted. Nothing was wrong when i entered and each month it only showed i owed the current month. And looking back at the credit card transactions, their was nothing taken out during that time. It happened once in may and once in july.. I was told this info today which is why i got the 2 late fee's added with 2 missed payments. I wouldnt even know where to start to dispute it because it's so weird.

Message 3 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would pay the late fees as a precaution.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i did the same day. i payed everything as soon as i was made aware..
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.