cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I saved myself from bigger trouble with credit cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How I saved myself from bigger trouble with credit cards!

First, I admit I was stupid!

I'm 24 years old now, new to the forum and new to the U.S. (has been almost 7 years). My parents back in Hongkong has a decent income (approximately 2-3M USD annually), that's why they can afford me to study oversea when I was 17. When I first came to the States, I uses cash for everthing until I had my first bank account opened few days later with BoA and had my debit card. When I was in college, I do not have a SSN, so I don't have any credit card, and my parents were offering me about 40k for living expenses, so my life is quite easy when I was in college. However, after I graduated 2.5 years ago and got my first job at a construction company, my parents cut me off! And my father save a 500k USD fund in HSBC, but I'm not authorized to touch it until I turn into 30s. I was earning 55k at the first year of my job, the first couple of months were fairly OK due to I still paying cash and filing all my SSN stuff. At this time, I have ZERO debt.

At that point, I am pretty sure I live a good life above the average, and have half million waiting for me. However, I almost end up screw my life after I got my first Chase Freedom. I got 100USD statement credit when I spent some money in 3 months. Then I thought I may "earn" some money by applying CC and get signin bonus. Then, the second, third, forth, fifth, sixth, and so on. In one year, I end up with 17 CCs and a Paypel Credit account. I don't really familiar how the credit card business works, so most of time, I just pay the minimal amount due to no interest for the first year, not due to I can't afford full payment. Later on, I just signup for autopay for minimal amout for all my accounts and never login again. Until two weeks ago, the friend, who recommended me to sign up more CCs to earn more, was brought to the court by Amex due to 96k unpaid debt. I was really scared, and I just read more about CC terms and I was shocked. Then I pull out a calculator out of my bag and login all my CC accounts and calculate how much I owe them. I was carring overall almost 130k plus a lot joking interests. I felt I was only one step away from my friend. I was trying to figure out a way to payoff all my debt at once in the next two days. I have about over 40k saved during college that I only used for emergency event (eg. last time I used it was becasue my dog broke her leg and I pulled out 4k for her surgery). I also have about 50k stock investment, which I cashed out at the secound day I found out I might in trouble. Finally, I got all my cash in hand, which is 90k. I'm still missing 40k!!!! I'm good at math and I calculated that I will take me about two (If I cut all my expenses) to five years to pay it off by my current income. I had no hope, then I called my parents and told them the entire story. My parents were aggree to bail me out of that 40k hole, but they said if this happened again, they gonna just sit and watch how I screw up myself. After then, I just use cash for everything and throw away all my cc so I wont use them. I have concluded why I was gotten into this situation and how I walked away from it. 

How I screw myself:

1. I was stupid, very stupid, like an idiot. I start to use something that I don't know the cost of.

2. I had a friend that has bad financial concept, I opened up so many cards and use them on a daily basis.

3. I setup autopay for minimal payment, and never look back again.

How I fixed it

1. I had emergency funds, this is really helpful

2. I had some investments, although I loss some money when I cashed out my stock

3. My parents had the ability to help and they are willing to help.

Final word: I would say I will never use credit card again if I don't have too (like booking flight online), I do not need to save money by spending more. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How I saved myself from bigger trouble with credit cards!

Credit cards were not the cause of your financial hardship. However, for people who have trouble overspending, limiting credit card use is a smart first step. It can sometimes be hard to track how much you spend when real money is not used (people had similar issues with bouncing checks but the problem was less since you generally spent money you had for checks). 

For now, perhaps limiting credit card use is a smart idea. In the long-term, you should look into tracking your spending. Credit cards can be great when used right, but they can amplify the damage caused by bad financial choices. Till you get a grasp on budgeting and using your money wisely, your decision to minimize credit card use is probably the smart choice. 

Message 2 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not need to save money by spending more. 

They're not mutually inclusive.  One doesn't have to go in debt by using credit cards.  However, if not using cards is safer for you then you have to go with what works for you.  Just be careful blaming the tool instead of your behavior.  Budgeting is important no matter what form of payment you use.

Message 3 of 9
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing yoru story, I imagine it is embarassing and a hard thing to share so we can learn from too. Be careful when you turn 30's and inhereit the $500K, it too may be gone. It is important to FULLY understand something before you blindly spend.

Message 4 of 9
DecAnt21

It's all about being responsible. I hope you did learn your lesson. I used to do the same thing, applying for those bonuses. I kep all of the cards and was never bad with spending. I can see how it was tempting though. Good Luck!

STARTING SCORE: 569 EQ FICO
CURRENT SCORES: 733 EQ FICO, 749 EXP FICO, 754 TU FICO, 750 BARCLAY, 724 CK, 724 CAP 1, 750 DISCOVER
GOAL SCORE: 760 ACROSS ALL 3
Message 5 of 9
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

What did you spend $130,000 on?  I mean, 4k dog leg surgery? Do people usually pay $4,000 for that out of their own pocket?  Over what time period was all of this accrued, I can see some of it being interest.

What is your credit score now?

Good thing you had those investments and parents to bail you out. You could have used that $90,000 to help you pay the credit off over a 2 - 5 year time period, btw.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gen-specific wrote:

What did you spend $130,000 on?  I mean, 4k dog leg surgery? Do people usually pay $4,000 for that out of their own pocket?  Over what time period was all of this accrued, I can see some of it being interest.

Good thing you had those investments and parents to bail you out. You could have used that $90,000 to help you pay the credit off over a 2 - 5 year time period, btw.

I have spent over 20k on surgeries over the last 10 years or so on my two dogs. Surgeries for animals can be expensive and insurance tends to be very limited. In fact, I dropped the policy on my dogs after I learnt just how little it covered. While procedures for animals tend to be significantly cheaper than the same procedure for humans, the benefit of insurance is significantly less. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Thank you for sharing your story, and welcome to the forum I hope you find it as usefull as I have. You've stubbeled across a great group of learned folks. 

I'm still new and mostly learning, not really in any position to give advice, but you said that you just set your auto payment to minimun payments and never logged in again, I would reccomend that you start using Mint and Mint bills immediately. Install on all your devices. Look at it every day, see when your bills are due, look at your spending trends, make a budget, look at your GOALS, etc... Truely makes it so simple to keep track of everything, even make it enjoyable to plan for the future. 

Now for the tough love. It sounds like your parents keep paying for everything, which is really a disservice to you. If you are really going to learn and have this be a second chance, spend the next few years learning about finances so you can prepare yourself responsible for the 500k trust. Because if you don't, it might as well be 50bucks for how much good it will do you. What are you going to do with that money to make sure this doesn't happen again. Atleast have some fail safes so that you have some untouchable money. 

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

I have spent over 20k on surgeries over the last 10 years or so on my two dogs. Surgeries for animals can be expensive and insurance tends to be very limited. In fact, I dropped the policy on my dogs after I learnt just how little it covered. While procedures for animals tend to be significantly cheaper than the same procedure for humans, the benefit of insurance is significantly less. 

Right!  I am surprised at gen-specific's surprise!   Lots of pet procedures are expensive with no great coverage available.   And in a lot of cases the problems are pretty bad before the animal shows obvious symptons (cats are notorious for hiding pain till it gets too much).   So $4K for surgery, which probably includes overmight monitoring, drugs, IVs etc, is far from exceptional.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.