Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is Credit.com?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How accurate is Credit.com?

Just wondering if the CS shown on Credit.com is accurate, if not what is the best free site for the most accurate CS?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: How accurate is Credit.com?

Credit.com is a FAKO, I believe. You aren't giong to see a true score from any of the free sites....

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score on credit.com is not one any lender would use and generally over-estimates your true score. If you want a real set of scores (FICO) then you should sign up for the 7 day $1.00 trial of creditchecktotal.com just be sure to cancel before the trial is up.

Message 3 of 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

For a free EX FICO 8 score creditscorecard.com
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay and what's a FICO 8 vs a FICO 7?
Message 5 of 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Where are you getting a FICO 7? I don't think I have seen that version, only versions I have seen are 9, 8, 5, 3 and 2.
Message 6 of 13
Life_take2
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay and what's a FICO 8 vs a FICO 7?
Matt FICO 8 is a newer FICO scoring model used by a lot of lenders and heavily in CC lending. ( Although FICO Score 9 is out, not a lot of 'early adopters' by lenders yet.) This might help a little ---> http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/fico-score-8.aspx

BK7 -9/15 Starting EQ-571 | TU-528 | EX-572 ---> Feb'24- Fico8: EQ-756 | TU-759| EX-751 Fico9: EQ-804 | TU-813 | EX-806

Amazon Store 10,000 * Apple Card-GS 12,000 * Barclay View 11,400 * Citi Costco Visa 8,100 * * Citi BB Visa 10,000 * Discover 8,100 * Discover Miles 14,500 * Eddie Bauer 4,000 * Home Depot 10,000 * HSN 10,000 * Kohls 3,000 * NFCU Flagship 30,000 * NFCU AMEX 25,000 * PenFed Gold 12,500 * Sam's Club MC 15,000 *Wells Fargo Platinum 1,100 * Wells Fargo Autograph 20,000 *
Total CL $204,700
Util% >1% AAOA: 62 Mo

Message 7 of 13
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Credit.com is fine if you want a EX VS 3.0 score.  Plus it gives you hints about what is happening on your EX report every two weeks.  However, since EX now gives free monthly reports and EX-08 scores, it isn't really needed:

https://www.freecreditscore.com

For a second monthly EX-08 score, see Discover's:

https://creditscorecard.com/

There are plenty of other CU's and banks that offer free scores for their customers.   The below thread gives some (but by no means all) of the options:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Where-to-obtain-FREE-monthly-FICO-scores/...

Ideally, you will want access to all of your FICO 08 (EQ-08, EX-08 and TU-08) and Mortgage (EQ-04, EX-98 and TU-04) scores.  I have yet to find a free source for TU-04 scores.  I also do not have access to an EQ-08 score, but since none of my creditors use EQ-08, I don't worry about it.  I do highly recommend CK to have weekly access to limited EQ and TU reports.  CK also provides VS 3.0 scores for EQ and TU, if you are interested in your Vantage scores.

Message 8 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just wondering if the CS shown on Credit.com is accurate, if not what is the best free site for the most accurate CS?

All scores are accurate.  Accuracy isn't about how well a given score mimics another.  Different models are developed to interpret report data differently.  Instead of relying on "accuracy" you need to consider the relevance of any scoring model/CRA combo as the different models aren't designed to produce the same result.  A creditor will only use the scoring model and CRA used in the decision for the product.  If you want to know what that score is then you need to pull that specific score.  Creditors/products do not all use the same model and CRA so you cannot assume that you can rely on a single score for all creditors.

Do not rely on FAKO versus FICO.  While most creditors use a FICO model not all do.  There are, for example, creditors that use VantageScore, internal scores, etc.  Even with creditors that use a FICO model they do not all use the same model.  Different models evalaute report data differently and can have different scoring ranges.  Again, consider relevance, not accuracy.

Some combos mentioned above:

• Credit.com provides an EX VantageScore 3.0.  It is only relevant to creditors that use that model & CRA.
  • Credit Score Card provides an EX FICO 8.  It is only relevant to creditors that use that model & CRA.
  • CCT provides FICO 8's for all 3 of the major CRA's.  Those scores are only relevant to creditors that use them.  FICO 8 is the most commonly used model but it is not the only model used.

You can refer to the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum, its stickies and other resources for info on the various FICO models.  This page below is linked from the Cinoare Our Products page on this site:

http://www.myfico.com/Products/FICOScore8Disclaimer.html

There's also this:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/fico-score-versions.aspx

And a sticky I mentioned:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/The-many-flavors-of-FICO-Editions-versions-and-variations/td-p/1197617

To determine which creditor/product uses which model and CRA you can use resources such as the Credit Pulls Database (Google to find) and existing discussions here.  All of the stuff about score above is also a very common discussion topic.  Don't overlook the existing threads and the stickies as resources.

Better yet, focus on the data in your reports versus obsessing over the numbers.  I'm not saying that you'll be able to to determine a score by looking at your reports but any scoring model uses the data in a report to generate a score.  Good reports lead to good scores.  You need to have the ability to look at your reports, idenitify issues, monitor changes and so on anyway.  It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on your scores but don't rely solely on scores to indicate the shape of your credit.

@Anonymous wrote:

The score on credit.com is not one any lender would use and generally over-estimates your true score.

There is no fixed offset between different models.  One model may be higher or lower than the other and the variance can differ depending on the specifics of the credit report used as a data source and how the models evaluate the report data.

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great anwser @creditdunce, drops the mike....Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.