cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are programming errors(bugs) handled?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are programming errors(bugs) handled?

I have to make an assumption that the FICO scores are computer generated. If the assumption is valid I will continue otherwise please please ignore this thread.
If in fact they are the programs that calculate the scores must have errors in them. This is a fact of life. If you don't believe this please ignore the rest.
The original programs were written a long time ago. In the 1970's if I'm not mistaken.
Now for the question.
When a bug is discovered in these programs and a fix is put in to correct the problem does Fair Isaac a) acknowledge that there was a problem? b) advise the clients who paid for their reports prior to the discovery their scores maybe wrong c) advise any lenders who requested good data and received erroneous scores that in fact they were wrong. And that some of the people who were denied credit should not have been. And last does Fair Isaac feel they have a responsibility to do so? Maybe not a legal one but a moral and ethical one.
Please don't start calling me names or questioning my morals or my education or any other little inside jokes you people have (you know if I'm talking about you).
It does not obscure the fact that the question is not being answered.
BTW My FICO score is 790. I have no axe to grind.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Raine
Established Contributor

Re: How are programming errors(bugs) handled?

Just to clarify, I have stated it is okay to ask these questions as long as everyone stays calm.

I do believe people want to know what sort of bugs might be an issue, though. It might be good to clarify if you have noticed these bugs.

I will be watching this thread. If it takes any turns in the wrong direction, it will be locked, and I will ask that Bob does not bring up this subject again.

Message Edited by Raine on 07-05-2007 06:14 PM
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

bob, your assumption is not valid.  computers do not generate the fico scores.  when you pull your scores, an individual fico employee hand-scores your reports.  it is kind of like one of those scan-tron forms that some college professors use, but no scan-tron sensor machine.  the scan-tron scoring sheet is then forwarded to the next department, where a different employee adds up the points that the first employee gave to you.  finally, a third employee manually enters your score into the system and it shows up on your screen.  it is a very involved process, and was devised to eliminate computer errors.

posterbob wrote:
I have to make an assumption that the FICO scores are computer generated. If the assumption is valid I will continue otherwise please please ignore this thread.
If in fact they are the programs that calculate the scores must have errors in them. This is a fact of life. If you don't believe this please ignore the rest.
The original programs were written a long time ago. In the 1970's if I'm not mistaken.
Now for the question.
When a bug is discovered in these programs and a fix is put in to correct the problem does Fair Isaac a) acknowledge that there was a problem? b) advise the clients who paid for their reports prior to the discovery their scores maybe wrong c) advise any lenders who requested good data and received erroneous scores that in fact they were wrong. And that some of the people who were denied credit should not have been. And last does Fair Isaac feel they have a responsibility to do so? Maybe not a legal one but a moral and ethical one.
Please don't start calling me names or questioning my morals or my education or any other little inside jokes you people have (you know if I'm talking about you).
It does not obscure the fact that the question is not being answered.
BTW My FICO score is 790. I have no axe to grind.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOb I understand what you are saying.  I would believe that these companies have large computer departments that are there to handle the trolls.  I work for a large financial institution.  In this institution there are many people and computers to make sure these trolls are eliminated..  Do computers make mistakes?  Yes they do.  I suggest you should talk to your Mortgage broker and ask him where he got your scores.  I would not be mad if I had a 790. 
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

My prior message was one of the one's deleted so I'll try to be nicey nice to Bob.Smiley Mad  Dear Bob, in the USA, companies almost never aknowledge making mistakes for fear of being sued by the greater populace.  Take the automakers for instance, how many people died in due to the Ford Pinto and the Chrysler Minivans.  These companies were unwilling to admit mistakes, for a certain time that is.  So it is my belief that you'll never see any companies, including Fair Isaac, admit to making mistakes.  That is ofcourse unless it will cost them more money to deny the mistake as in my example above.  Still interested in meeting me for coffee? Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm almost afraid to post having read the earlier threadSmiley Surprised.

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, I thought Fair Isaac "sold" the formula to the CRAs, and they each have all "tweaked" it a little?  Which is why the score you get from the CRAs are FAKOs and not real FICOs.

Like I said, that was my understanding.

If that is the case, the onus would be on the CRAs if there was a glitch in the programming that calculates the scores. So I don't know how they would handle errors.

Ooops, guess that means I wasn't supposed to respond. Do forgive.Smiley Sad

Message Edited by trinigal on 07-05-2007 06:54 PM
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting completely annoyed at my self for not making the question clear. I'm getting answers that do not resemble the questions.
I know the answer about robots or whatever is an attempt at humor. I'll treat it as such.
As I said in a previous thread the co I worked for would notify all involved and reissue corrected copies.
I know GM and Ford and Toyota get away with not acknowledging hazards. That does not make it right, moral, or ethical.
The question remains. How does FICO handle this? Do they ignore? Do they correct? This is all I wanted to know in the first place.
If they ignore is that right, wrong maybe both? If I was getting my report and they found a bug that affected my score I think I should be notified? These are peoples lives you know?

The responder who said computers make mistakes that is not true. The programmer is who makes mistakes. The computer is a machine. Put garbage in get garbage out. 

Message Edited by posterbob on 07-05-2007 07:07 PM
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll chime in and say to the OP that if you just go to the press release section of the fair-isaac website, you'll see that there are ALWAYS projects in the works to modify and improve the model.

AND to take it one more step forward there are countless reasons why the FICO model remains proprietary... The liklihood you will get the answer to your questions in a General Credit Issue forum on MYFICO.com are slim.

Good luck in your efforts.

790 is a pretty good score!Smiley Very Happy What are your others?

Rob
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is the avg. They are all in the same range 787 790 793. My wifes are the same give or take a point. I have no axe to grind. Nobody seems to consider if something is right or wrong anymore? If thats how it is that's how it is. What happened to honesty?
If 1 or 2 of the people who read this say to themselves "hmm he's got a point there" is this the way it should be handled? and they tell 2 who tell another 2. Well church might be a little fuller.

Message Edited by posterbob on 07-05-2007 07:20 PM
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

no bob, i am serious, i read on bankrate.com that that is how they calculate scores.  there was a lawsuit out of the 9th circuit court of appeals on a computer error similar to what you mentioned.  very interesting case.  this girl wasnt able to get financing for her breast augmentation b/c equifax reported that she had defaulted on her hooters mastercard, when in fact she had never been late, well, except for the one time that she got stiffed at hooters, but she miscarried.  the judge ruled that in order to be in compliance with federal law, each cra must use the process that i described above before handing out credit scores.  the cra appealed to the us supreme court, but withdrew their appeal because they did not want their name broadcast all over the media in a case called Doe v. Hooters, Equifax, et.al....if you dont believe me, go look it up. 
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.