cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Enforce the Court and Credit Bureaus to Validate or Remove a Judgment

tag
MrsTCastle

How do I Enforce the Court and Credit Bureaus to Validate or Remove a Judgment

How Do I Enforce the Court to Validate or Remove a Judgement I had a judgement filed against me in 2006 for a car that was repossessed by the credit union who financed it. This year I was informed no matter how high my credit scores are, I cannot get a mortgage with the unpaid judgement on my reports. So i decided to make some settlement offer to the credit union.

I called them and they explained they wrote it off, so i needed to work with the collection agency. They don't have the name of the collection agency and told me to look through my paperwork! So i called the court to find out which collection agency filed the judgement, and they can't even find any record of the judgement and told me to call the credit union. After2 calls to the credit union and 2 calls to the court, nobody can tell more who to contact to work this payment arrangement with!

I decided to challenge the judgement on my credit reports in the hopes of getting answers. Each reporting agency stated the debt has been verified. My question is: How did the judgement get verified if the courts can't even find the filing?? How do I insist the credit bureaus remove it because it has NOT been verified to me? I have not received anything from the courts or credit bureaus and am really frustrated. What can I do???
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: How do I Enforce the Court and Credit Bureaus to Validate or Remove a Judgment

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The courts do not place judgments on your credit report and they are not verified through them.  The CRAs have the capability to pull that information up themselves and if it shows, it is verified.

Just because a creditor writes off a debt does not mean they do not still retain the debt.  It would need to be sold to the collection agency in order for that to happen. 

I would get an account with PACER and see what, if any, it shows in there.  It is an online electronic file of public records, for lack of better terminology.  Your state may or may not use it.

If it still doesn't show anything, I would see if the courts would give you a letter stating they find no judgments under your name/SSN.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How do I Enforce the Court and Credit Bureaus to Validate or Remove a Judgment

I would make a trip to the courhouse, and request a copy of the supposed judgment from the office of the clerk.

It is a public record to which you are entitled review.

If they cant produce it, then obtain a statement from them that they have no such record.

As stated, the CRA consutts with the court, and if the record is present, they verify.

It appears they were able to consult the public record.  If not, then something is amiss.........

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.