Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much debt is considered too much?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much debt is considered too much?

I know about lenders liking you to be under 30 to 40% DTI but is there a specific dollar amount compared to yearly income that's too much? Example 50k income with 20k personal loan 9k left on auto lease and about 10k in credit card debt but with all payments being under 30% DTI, wondering if lenders might start to worry? Thx for any input or ideas!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much debt is considered too much?

Also no mortgage payment 

Message 2 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's dependant on the lender. Some, like cap1 won't bat an eye if you max out your cards. Others, like chase, have an itchy trigger finger. There is no one size fits all answer.

Message 3 of 11
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

It's dependant on the lender. Some, like cap1 won't bat an eye if you max out your cards. Others, like chase, have an itchy trigger finger. There is no one size fits all answer.

Agreed, and even within lenders there is no one-size-fits-all answer.  I'm thinking someone making a half-million a year with a 50% DTI wouldn't phase most lenders; someone making 10% of that with the same 50% DTI may well not qualify for credit.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

But say you make 10k a month 120k a year but say you have 120k in credit card debt, minimum payments usually come out to 2% of the balance so roughly 2.5k per month or 25% DTI. You think as a lender this would be acceptable in granting more credit or this is getting out of hand? 

Message 5 of 11
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But say you make 10k a month 120k a year but say you have 120k in credit card debt, minimum payments usually come out to 2% of the balance so roughly 2.5k per month or 25% DTI. You think as a lender this would be acceptable in granting more credit or this is getting out of hand? 

When you postulate "you make 10K a month", is that gross or net?  I ask because while I "make" more than that in gross pay, my net after taxes, health care, HSA, and 401K contributions is a little over half that amount.  Assuming I owed $2,500 per month in minimum payments on just my credit cards, that would be a HUGE burden in addition to normal monthly spending for things like rent, utilities, subscriptions, groceries, automotive related expenses, clothing..., you get the idea, and so too do financial institutions.  So  yes, I believe most lenders would consider that much debt in relation to a gross income (which is typically what most lenders ask for on credit card applications), and as such, "getting out of hand".

Then there is the red flag of someone making only minimum payments, this is what I think the new FICO 10 and 10T scoring models are targeting, it is one thing to have a lot of debt, but another thing entirely when the DTI is very high (and either staying steady or climbing), and only minimum payments are being made.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

When you start getting denied because of debt  reasons you know you have too much debt. 

Message 7 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  lenders don't look at percentages only, but also at raw numbers. 

You can have DTI of 5% and be overextended.

Utilization padding only works up to a certain level, lenders have gotten better at risk mitigation by looking at how much you owe versus  percentage you owe relative to income. 

Message 8 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Montly payments vs. montly income isn't the only DTI calculation lenders look at, as well.  When I did lending at a small CU, we also had to look at unsecured DTI, which was total outstanding unsecured debt vs. annual income, and that ratio had its own %'s that it had to meet.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thx for all the answers I'm a bit new to a lot of this so appreciate you all. So sounds like home and auto debt is treated differently than personal loan and credit card debt right? Would make sense since it's secured so less risky. I have heard though that personal loan debt looks "better" than A lot of credit card debt? Not sure if better is the right word lol

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.