cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much of a Credit Limit should I have?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much of a Credit Limit should I have?

I try to read a lot on this site and think this site is great.I have utilized a lot of what I have read on this site and it has made a big difference in my credit score. I checked my FICO score on Citi.com and see that I have a credit score of 813...the highest that it has ever been! I am really excited about that....my question is I have roughly 250k in credit limit...more than I really need. I have been so obsessed with my credit and limit....should I request more or just let that simmer? As I said..I really don't need that much..but it makes me feel good to see the work i put in pay off with a great score and great limits. I am currently waiting until next year to apply for Chase Saphire Reserve due to the 5/24 rule..Chase has really shown me the love ..I have IHG,Amazon,Hyatt,Freedom,Marriot..with Chase alone I have about 50k..with Citi I have about 75k..hopefully Chase will let me get the Saphire next year..

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much of a Credit Limit should I have?

FICO scoring models do not care about size of credit limit at all, considered by itself, though they do care about utilization.

EXAMPLE:  Bob has four credit cards, each reporting a $30 balance.  Each has a $1000 credit limit.  He then calls all four of his issuers and they surprisingly agree to give him a credit limit increase (CLI) to $20,000 each.  (No hard pull.)  His scores will not increase by even one point.  That's because his utilization was very low, and it will still be very low.

Your 250k total credit limit is wildly high -- and as you say far higher than you could even remotely need.  (My guess is that your monthly spending is always far less than 22k, right?)

There is zero advantage, as you describe your situation, to getting bigger credit limits.

One final thought. I see that you write this:

... I have a credit score of 813...the highest that it has ever been! I am really excited about that....my question is I have roughly 250k in credit limit...more than I really need. I have been so obsessed with my credit and limit....should I request more or just let that simmer? As I said..I really don't need that much..but it makes me feel good to see the work i put in pay off with a great score and great limits. I am currently waiting until next year to apply for Chase Saphire Reserve due to the 5/24 rule..Chase has really shown me the love ..I have IHG,Amazon,Hyatt,Freedom,Marriot..with Chase alone I have about 50k..with Citi I have about 75k..hopefully Chase will let me get the Saphire next year..

I encourage you to be careful about allowing feelings of joy in life or self-worth or love or anything like it be tied to credit scores, credit limits, or analogously, increases in one's investments.  Those are areas that your should carefully try to sequester into a cool detached "Mr. Spock" part of your personality.  Save thrills for roller coasters and movies, which are safe places to experience them without risking anything.  Save feeling great about yourself for hanging out with your kids or friends, eating a great meal, going to the gym or for a run -- again, safe productive areas for feeling loved and valued and happy.

It's naturally to feel happy at first with this stuff but don't allow your feelings to get tied up with credit and money issues, or you begin acting via obsession and against your own rational self-interest.  This happens a lot: the thrill of the app (and the approval), the fancier credit limits, the new pretty pieces of plastic, etc.  They are not good places to meet emotional needs -- the goal instead should to be like Data from Star Trek.  Detached, purely driven by financial self-interest and safety.

Message 2 of 5
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Very well said, CreditGuyInDixie.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 3 of 5
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having those feelings. In fact I am statistically inclined to say that anyone who harbers that kind of sentiment towards their credit profile is much more likely to foster a mindset of financial responsibility. If you’re investing the time and effort to join the forums and taking the information you gather here to practice you’re on the right track and those new credit lines, increases or credit score milestones are just another form of positive reinforcement. Where it gets dangerous is adopting a mindset that excludes others based upon the cards they carry or the scores they bear. Keep up the good work, Ricky!

Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Most CCC raise your CLs over time so I would never ask for one.  Could have a negative effect if the start to wonder why you are asking for it not to mention an INQ or two.

Along with your income, CLs should never factor in a credit score.  Its all about how you manage what you have.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.