cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Correct a Reporting Error? Creditor Reported Delinquincy During Forbearance

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

How to Correct a Reporting Error? Creditor Reported Delinquincy During Forbearance

I have a student loan account that I requested a temporary hardship forbearance on. The forbearance was approved in February 2018 and applied retroactively to December 2017. However, right at that same time of approval (February-ish), the account was sold to another lender. The original lender (AES) then reported my account as delinquent for January 2018 and February 2018. While the payments were not made in January and February (so late at that time), the forbearance should have wiped this out because technically, the retroactive forbearance made the payments not due (and I was in contact with AES regularly while the forbearance was pending, so I knew it was going to be applied retroactively). I have the letter from AES clearing stating that in February 2018, they approved a forbearance beginning in December 2017.

What's the best way to have this corrected? I assume sending a letter, but what should th eletter say? Is there anything magical or necessary language? Any templates anywhere? AES is basically the worst ever, so I expect that they will make this difficult, even though it is clearly a mistake and I have a letter evidencing this.

Thanks!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to Correct a Reporting Error? Creditor Reported Delinquincy During Forbearance

@MBOhio2 wrote:

I have a student loan account that I requested a temporary hardship forbearance on. The forbearance was approved in February 2018 and applied retroactively to December 2017. However, right at that same time of approval (February-ish), the account was sold to another lender. The original lender (AES) then reported my account as delinquent for January 2018 and February 2018. While the payments were not made in January and February (so late at that time), the forbearance should have wiped this out because technically, the retroactive forbearance made the payments not due (and I was in contact with AES regularly while the forbearance was pending, so I knew it was going to be applied retroactively). I have the letter from AES clearing stating that in February 2018, they approved a forbearance beginning in December 2017.

What's the best way to have this corrected? I assume sending a letter, but what should th eletter say? Is there anything magical or necessary language? Any templates anywhere? AES is basically the worst ever, so I expect that they will make this difficult, even though it is clearly a mistake and I have a letter evidencing this.

Thanks!

@MBOhio2 wrote:

Thanks!

Mail a copy of the letter with a cover letter of dispute to the CRAs asking that the errors be corrected. Keep it as simple as possible no need to go into great detail. If this doesnt get it done then a stronger letter can be mailed to the creditor directly but you need to have a determination from the CRA before any other possible legal actions are undertaken.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.