Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stop Creditors Calling Wrong Phone#

tag
Hersheykiss
Valued Member

How to Stop Creditors Calling Wrong Phone#

I've been dealing with listening to voicemails from Capital One Auto Finance for probably almost a year.  I finally started answering the phone and repeatedly tell each one of them the same thing.  They have the wrong number!  They all tell me the same thing by apologizing and verifying that in deed it's a wrong number, then continue to call my number.  I have enough problems with my own creditors.  LOL

Is there any way to stop these nuisance calls?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Stop Creditors Calling Wrong Phone#

@Hersheykiss wrote:

Is there any way to stop these nuisance calls?

YES! have them finance your next carSmiley Very Happy That was easy.

Message 2 of 12
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I had a very similar problem a few years ago.  Collection agencies kept calling my number looking for a person who apparently lived in the same city and shares the same last name (it's not a common last name, but also not entirely unusual).  I remember two CAs for certain - First Performance Recovery and Cavalry Portfolio Services.  They called incessantly, leaving voicemails almost daily.  I'd call back to explain to them that they had the wrong information, I'd be told that they'd remove my name from their list, but the calls would continue.

Finally, I started calling them incessantly.  Sometimes a dozen times an hour, tying up the time of the CSRs for as long as possible.  I'd ask them over and over and over for confirmation of the deletion of my number.  I'd offer them helpful advice on how to track down the person that they're really looking for.  I would politely explain to them that even though someone has the same last name, he could actually be a different person, and the trick to telling people apart is by looking at their first name.  Then I'd call back and do the same thing.  I did this for several days in a row.  At one point, a CSR said, "listen Mr Wrong Number, I see that you've called 20 times about this," to which I replied, "oh, so almost half as many times as you've called me?  I'll try to catch up as soon as possible!"

Eventually, the calls stopped.  I don't know whether my response was what did the trick, but it felt good doing it.

Message 3 of 12
sddykstr
Valued Member

That's hilarious.

I had the same thing happen, but eventually I just said the person died. Then they stopped calling me.

Starting Score: 653
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The ONLY fix is to write the CA IN WRITING BY CERTIFIED MAIL to stop calling. If they don't stop, sue them using the FCRA laws. It works even if it is your debt.

Message 5 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

sometime late last week, an unknown number started calling me, & they never leave any messages.  the last few times, whether i let it go to voicemail on its own or if i decline the call (on my cell phone), i end up with a dumb message where they are auto-dialing me & telling me to wait for the next rep.  then someone will eventually come on the line & say hello? a couple of times & then hang up.  it's so annoying!  leave a freaking message already!!!  Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Calls by original creditors are not regulated per se under either the FCRA or the FDCPA.

If the party calling is a debt collector, their practices are regulated under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).

There are two separate types of communications that a debt collector can make.  The first relates to calls regarding a third-party (i.e., not to you as the consumer, but to gain information about another party), and the second type of call relates to calls to you as the consumer for which they are attempting collection of a debt of that consumer.

If they are calling regarding a third-party, their inquiry is limited ONLY for the purpose of acquiring "location informtion" about that person.  FDCPA 804.

"Location information" is limited, under FDCPA 803(7) only to a "consumer's place of abode and his telephone number at such place, or his place of employment."

Calls to obtain locator information are limited, under FDCPA 804(1)-(6) as  follows:

The debt collector must identify himself to the party being called, and must state that they are confirming or correcting location infomation about the consumer.  The debt collector cannot state that such consumer owes any debt.  The debt collector is limited to only one such call, unless they have specific information that your earlier response was erroneous of incomplete, and tht you now have such correct or complete information.  Upon receiving any second call, just ask them what basis they have for concluding that your earlier response was erroneous or incomplete.  In essence, they must call you a liar.

If they are calling regarding  debt that you owe, there are no specific limitations upon the number of calls, as long as they are not harassing or at unacceptble hours.

At any time you wish, you can give them notice under FDCPA 805(c) to cease all further communication with you. That prohiits any further calls, period.

Message 7 of 12
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

I love it! Smiley Very Happy Thank you for the Thursday night laugh!

@Lel wrote:

I had a very similar problem a few years ago.  Collection agencies kept calling my number looking for a person who apparently lived in the same city and shares the same last name (it's not a common last name, but also not entirely unusual).  I remember two CAs for certain - First Performance Recovery and Cavalry Portfolio Services.  They called incessantly, leaving voicemails almost daily.  I'd call back to explain to them that they had the wrong information, I'd be told that they'd remove my name from their list, but the calls would continue.

Finally, I started calling them incessantly.  Sometimes a dozen times an hour, tying up the time of the CSRs for as long as possible.  I'd ask them over and over and over for confirmation of the deletion of my number.  I'd offer them helpful advice on how to track down the person that they're really looking for.  I would politely explain to them that even though someone has the same last name, he could actually be a different person, and the trick to telling people apart is by looking at their first name.  Then I'd call back and do the same thing.  I did this for several days in a row.  At one point, a CSR said, "listen Mr Wrong Number, I see that you've called 20 times about this," to which I replied, "oh, so almost half as many times as you've called me?  I'll try to catch up as soon as possible!"

Eventually, the calls stopped.  I don't know whether my response was what did the trick, but it felt good doing it.

Message 8 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I had the ghost caller, up to 9x a day.

I started filing a DAILY complaint with FTC, listing the times the company called.  I also noted the calls I accepted and told them again to stop calling/take the number off the list.   

Four days in a row of this and magically the company stopped calling me.  I didn't receive a check in the mail though.. darn.

I have used this method with 3 numbers/companies so far.  Has worked like a charm.  Smiley Happy

Now, if the number is unknown/private, well, that doesn't work, but I can ignore those calls.

Message 9 of 12
FrannieMae
New Visitor

Is there a way to stop the creditor, that is, to get the creditors information and stop them from selling the bad information?  I just got a call and I had to change my last number because they kept selling the number to more and more collectors.  It didn't help that they didn't call back since the number was just sold on.  I still miss calls from my dentist, for instance, because the old number somehow resurrects itself int their records.  The people who extend credit knowing they won't get paid, can write it off and make money anyway then sell the bad debt should not be allowed to sell the debt.  It's bad enough we're paying taxes to support rich professionals who lower their tax bills by intentionally incurring bad debts but having to be harassed as a result is so wrong.  I'd like to know if there is a way to stop this harassment at its source. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.