Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get EX credit score from lender?

tag
dizzier
Established Contributor

How to get EX credit score from lender?

I applied and was approved for an auto refi. My lender pulled EX. I called to try to get my EX FICO score and was told that they are contractually obligated not to give me the information. WTH? It's my score. This doesn't sound right to me.

Is there anything you all can tell me that will help me get them to tell me my score? Is there anything in the credit act that would help me?

Thanks.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How to get EX credit score from lender?

Very few lenders will share this info, unfortunately.

Starting in January, if you are denied or even if you don't get the best possible rate, lenders will have to tell you what your score was, where it came from, and (I think) the negative factors. This is part of the Dodd-Frank banking bill recently passed.

That should make the forums an interesting place to be! Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
dizzier
Established Contributor

Oh really?!

In that case, I'll just call back next month!! Smiley Very Happy

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Were your final terms at a less beneficial rate than you applied for?

Message 4 of 12
dizzier
Established Contributor

Nope. I got the best rate available. I just want to know what my EX FICO score is. It's been 2 years since we've been able to pull them ourselves.

Message 5 of 12
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Very few lenders will share this info, unfortunately.

Starting in January, if you are denied or even if you don't get the best possible rate, lenders will have to tell you what your score was, where it came from, and (I think) the negative factors. This is part of the Dodd-Frank banking bill recently passed.

That should make the forums an interesting place to be! Smiley Wink

Actually, I believe there is more than one mechanism for lenders to comply.  I forget the details, but in general terms I think the lender must either tell all applicants "here is your actual score that we used to evaluate you, and we give our best rates to customers with scores above X" or the lender tells applicants to whom they are offering subprime terms "you are a subprime applicant for the following reason(s) and therefore we are offering you an APR or X, if you were a prime applicant you would get an APR of Y." 

Lenders can therefore choose between telling everybody their scores and cutoffs or telling those with less-than-clean records the specific reasons and impact from having less-than-clean credit.

The basic intent is the make consumers, especially those with credit issues, more aware of what their credit troubles are costing them.

It is not yet clear which method of compliance will be more popular with lenders.  Giving scores and cutoffs to everybody will be significantly simpler for the lender to implement, but since it will reveal which scoring model they use and what their cutoffs are it will telegraph their business rules to competitors.  Giving customized disclosures only to those who are getting less-than-favorable treatment will reveal less about their business strategy but cost more to implement.  Personally I hope most lenders go with giving scores to everybody, because only under that option would I be likely to learn more than I know right now.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I checked around about this, and I think you're right. Smiley Sad Too bad; that would have been an awfully useful bit of info to get.

I guess the banks dodged that bullet... Smiley Indifferent

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
RammaCredit
New Contributor

Credit Unions usually give them to you. You must have went through a major bank? The best bet would be to go into a branch office and speak to someone who is not on a recoreded call. It must be their policy not to disclose over the phone.

Starting Score: TU:636 EQ:592
Current Score: TU:709 EQ:637 EX:706 (PSECU)
Goal Score: TU:790EQ:760 EX: 774

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
dizzier
Established Contributor

Nope. It was a credit union. Addison ave to be exact.

Message 9 of 12
RammaCredit
New Contributor

sidenote..I'm a Contributor!

Dizz, As I look through the posts, This has been happening a lot lately, must have been sometype of National CU conference call. They probably just realized they have been breaking the law all this time...lol So best bet is to wait until Jan. I just apped for a CC from one CU today and a LOC from another. Trying to build. I'll ask what my score is from those two CU's and I'll let you know if they tell me.

Starting Score: TU:636 EQ:592
Current Score: TU:709 EQ:637 EX:706 (PSECU)
Goal Score: TU:790EQ:760 EX: 774

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.