cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to help spouse's credit

tag
77orange77

How to help spouse's credit

I know that we are all responsible for our own credit history and that privacy laws prevent me from getting all the information I would need to truly help my husband clean up his credit.  He and I have been married for about 7 years and in that time he has never attempted to clean up his credit.  He has pretty much depended on me and my credit to get us what we have.  It was better for us for me to purchase our house only in my name, our car loan is just in my name, etc.  He does have all the house utilities in his name.  He is a very private person...has his own bank account that I never see.  In any case, the fact that he hasn't cleaned up his credit since we got married is really bothering me.  We could be living better if we could actually use our dual income to purchase a bigger home.  What can I do to convince him to let me help him clean up his credit?  A few years ago I did get his credit report...but I wanted to sit down with him to go over it all with him.  I can't call people for him because no one will give me information because I am not him.  He has to make an effort to do this.  I can organize it all for him, but how do I get him to help himself?  We have three children...and if he would just care more about this it would help our whole family.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: How to help spouse's credit

IMHO I think there is a bigger issue here than helping him clean up his credit.  I see some major communication issues that would need to be addressed.  He must be willing to change and improve his credit both for himself and his family and you cannot force someone to do that.  It wasn't until I lost a relationship and almost my job that I decied to get out of CC debt.  DW and I have seperate accounts and credit histories and she trusts me to stay out of debt and LOL I hate using the CC card more than she does even though we both PIF.

The best adevice I can give you where 2 people are clearly not on the same page when it comes to money is to protect yourself first, and then your children.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 4
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

77orange77, if you enjoy reading books, I can recommend the following.

Your Money and Your Man: How You and Prince Charming Can Spend Well and Live Rich,

by Michelle Singletary, a nationally syndicated columnist for The Washington Post.

Psych Yourself Rich: Get the Mindset and Discipline You Need to Build Your Financial Life,

by Farnoosh Torabi, a personal finance journalist, author and TV personality.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would start by asking him to order his free, annual credit report from the federally sponored site at annualcreditreport.com. Ask him to share that report with you.

If he wont do that, you have no starting place.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.