cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove collection account that happens by mistake!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to remove collection account that happens by mistake!

Hi Folks,

I have had a very good credit score, until some idiots from qwest company ruined it!

I ordered internet service from them, and after one month because I was unhappy with it I canceled it, and they said me they will send me the final bill, it took a while and I received no thing, calling them they said it will come. Finally after about one month I had a call from an assessment company, and a rude lady was asking my debit card or credit card information for paying my bill that refers to my collected account!!!! I called qwest about this matter, and after a long discussion they said they had no idea why no bill was sent to me, and their computer systems automatically send information of customers that have not paid their bills to assessment company automatically, but he is going to put a 90 day hold for it, and qwest will send me my final bill. After one month and receiving no thing again, I called them and discussed this matter and asked them how much is my final bill and I want to pay it now through phone to get rid of this situation! I paid my bill even without observing it!

I am pretty sure that they had not sent me bill until that moment, because when I asked how much is my final bill, they said a large number, I replied why this, they said because you had a modem too, I told I have returned it, the lady stopped for a moment and checked the system and said, yes yes, let me adjust your final balance! It shows that the system has not run my account to prepare the bill!!!

Any way, today I received my monthly credit scores and information from creditkeeper, and I observed a collection account in my credit file, created by that assessment company, which reduces my score to less than 600!!!!

How can I remove the **bleep**s of these idiots, and retrieve my good history and remove that account? Definitely the first thing that will do is calling qwest. My question is are they going to totally remove that collection account from my file, or they will just put a paid in front of it? Or I need to argue about it?

I wanna all of that collection account disappears from my pure credit history.

Any help is appreciated

====================================

Update about my case:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replays. here is the update:

The collection company, named WEST ASSET MANAGEMENT, has reduced my debt from original one to 59$ in my account, in a condition that I spoke with Qwest and paid the bill by phone, even without observing my bill.

I called qwest about this matter, the lady started to apologize, it seems that from the records she knew that the issue was with billing, but she said she is sorry, she can do noting about collection company, that company is now asking for a fee for itself, and I myself need to call that company, pay their bill and speak about the account in my credit! I replied that that is their mistake and problem, I need to speak with that company?! but she insisted she can do nothing!

Folks, what do you think? How is my condition? I myself believe this is a robbery and charlatanism! But they have control over my credit accounts and scores (so my life), so maybe it is better to just pay that 59$ after speaking with that company and making sure that they will remove the account completely. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Message Edited by Ben3 on 10-17-2009 01:45 PM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to remove collection account that happens by mistake!

Hi,

Did you pay the OC? If so Dv the CA and they will not be able to validate and will have to remove the TL.

or

A more direct route might be to call qwest and ask them, if the bill is paid, to contact the CA and withdraw the collection.

Message 2 of 12
sunflower17

I have had success getting incorrect items removed by writing the creditor a letter explaining the situation and sending a copy of the receipt if you have paid the bill. Request to have them remove the information. CC: all three credit bureaus, the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorney Generals office in your state.

Then write a letter to all three credit bureaus attaching the above letter and request them to remove the information. CC: all three credit bureaus, the FTC and the Attorney generals office in your state.

This will do it. It works for me.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replays. here is the update:

The collection company, named WEST ASSET MANAGEMENT, has reduced my debt from original one to 59$ in my account, in a condition that I spoke with Qwest and paid the bill by phone, even without observing my bill.

I called qwest about this matter, the lady started to apologize, it seems that from the records she knew that the issue was with billing, but she said she is sorry, she can do noting about collection company, that company is now asking for a fee for itself, and I myself need to call that company, pay their bill and speak about the account in my credit! I replied that that is their mistake and problem, I need to speak with that company?! but she insisted she can do nothing!

Folks, what do you think? How is my condition? I myself believe this is not fair at all! But they have control over my credit accounts and scores (so my life), so maybe it is better to just pay that 59$ after speaking with that company and making sure that they will remove the account completely. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea guys?Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

1.  DV the CA.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for this stupid question!But what is DV and CA means here?!

I never have had any problem in my account before, so never involved in such subjects, and thougt I am not going to, but life is too complex! That is why I have no info about it!

Message 7 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

It means send a Debt Verfication letter to the Collection Agency. Problem if it is not done within 30 days of receiving a dunning notice they do not have to comply. Did they ever send you a dunning notice?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, My first contact with this company was when a lady called me 7AM in the morning!!!!, asking my credit card or debit card number, to pay a collected account! I immidiatelly called qwest regarding this, they said me their computer system automatically send information of customers to that company when no payement is recived within 3 months (I had cancelled my internet in first month and they did not send me final bill!). The qwest said me they will put a 3 month hold on the process enabling me to pay the bill, and I paid it in phone without observing my bill! But the collection company has created a closed account for me and posted it to all three ones! The phone from collection company was their first and last contact with me! I recived no mail from them!
Message 9 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Attempting to collect the debt without sending a dunning letter is illegal.

Calling at 7AM is illegal.

Do you have anything written from the OC indicating that the account is PIF?

Others have told you to verify the debt with the CA. You could certainly do that. You could also send them an Intent To Sue (ITS) since they have already broken the law twice.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.