Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop family from viewing my credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to stop family from viewing my credit history

My family member went to experian and created an account under my name and infomation to view my credit history. How do I make a stop to this. I need to contact Transunion and Equifax so they wont do the same.

They might also go to website creditkarma or freecreditreport. Will my infomation still be blocked. They are trying to also call my bank to see what I purchase and I want to put a stop on this also. They only have my ssn and not account or card number are they still able to get some type of infomation from the banks. Citi is telling me they can't access without account number, but I am not sure if thats true.

I warn them what they are doing is illegal and they just laugh it off. They are not stopping and still pursue to getting more infomation.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to stop family from viewing my credit history

One thing you should think about is how you will feel if any or all of these members of your family are arrested, charged, and fined or imprisoned.  That could happen. 

In other words, how will your blood ties with them affect your moving forward?  My guess is that if these people were strangers, you would have no qualms about such people going to prison.  They would feel like faceless criminals that you'd be happy to see behind bars.  What will it be like for you if you send your mother or brother to prison?

They are in fact criminals, as you appear to be warning them about.

Curious to hear your thoughts and those of any other readers of your thread.

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Freeze your 3 credit reports where as youll be given a pin that only youll have. No one can take out credit in your name without you authorizing it. Change all your passwords to your accounts. Place fraud alerts on them as well. If they end up stealing your id, file police report for an extended fraud alert on your reports. It may be a hassle but play it safe. Find out why they want your info so bad and inform thrm if they persist youll have to get law enforcement involved. Maybe theyll stop.
Message 3 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"FCRA 619 Obtaining information under false pretenses [15 U.S.C. § 1681q]

Any person who knowingly and willfully obtains information on a consumer from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both."

Message 4 of 12
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Going with the title of the thread, the way to stop them is to report them to the police and agree to file charges.  They are comtting a crime as has been pointed out.

This is unfortunately common, and most people in your circumstances don't end up putting a stop to it at all, even when the family member doing this to them really screws up their credit.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the CreditKarma note, afaik, CK won't let them make an account if there is already an existing account registered using your SSN.

You definitely need to contact the police thoughand file charges as mentioned above.

Message 6 of 12
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Maybe you can change password to Experian

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My family member went to experian and created an account under my name and infomation to view my credit history. How do I make a stop to this. I need to contact Transunion and Equifax so they wont do the same.

They might also go to website creditkarma or freecreditreport. Will my infomation still be blocked. They are trying to also call my bank to see what I purchase and I want to put a stop on this also. They only have my ssn and not account or card number are they still able to get some type of infomation from the banks. Citi is telling me they can't access without account number, but I am not sure if thats true.

I warn them what they are doing is illegal and they just laugh it off. They are not stopping and still pursue to getting more infomation.

One way to stop them from viewing some of your credit reports would be to create the accounts before they do.  That would atleast stop them from viewing your score on the other sites.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On the CreditKarma note, afaik, CK won't let them make an account if there is already an existing account registered using your SSN.

You definitely need to contact the police thoughand file charges as mentioned above.

I think we need more details before we suggest the OP do that.  For all you know it is the OP's mother who is worried what their child has gotten into.   

Message 9 of 12
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Best short term advice, as mentioned above - freeze freeze and freeze. It's relatively cheap, some states its even free. You can even do it online..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.