cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will eviction affect my credit/rental history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will eviction affect my credit/rental history?

I was evicted from my apartment because of an incident that occurred with my roommate while I was not home. The leasing office called me the next day to let me know about the incident and tell me we were being evicted. They put an eviction notice on my front door later that day. There was no court date on the notice and when I asked one of the people in the leasing office, they said that since we were not contesting their decision that they didn’t think it would go on our rental history or credit report but they weren’t sure. So how will this affect me? I’m having trouble finding answers online as most questions pertain to missing a court date. We don’t have a court date at all. I just don’t want this on my rental history. If it does go on my rental history or credit report, what can I do?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: How will eviction affect my credit/rental history?

Unless you owe them money and haven't paid it and it goes to collections, then it would show up of your credit report.

As far as "rental history", this would only come up if you applied for another place and used them as a reference.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do owe them money but it will be paid off on time and won’t go to collections.

So it’s as simple as not listing this apartment on my rental history? The eviction won’t be public record or anything?
Message 3 of 14
PerArduaAdAstra
Valued Member

As far as I understand the eviction will not show on your CR unless you owe and get a judgement filed against you. So regarding applying to new lines of credit and such, it shouldn't have any impact.

However, it will definitely show up on background searches and different data collection services that apartments and landlords use to screen tenants, and this might make future rentals very difficult.

Best of luck.

Message 4 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@PerArduaAdAstra wrote:

As far as I understand the eviction will not show on your CR unless you owe and get a judgement filed against you. So regarding applying to new lines of credit and such, it shouldn't have any impact.

However, it will definitely show up on background searches and different data collection services that apartments and landlords use to screen tenants, and this might make future rentals very difficult.

Best of luck.

Thanks I wasn't aware of a database for that, you learn something new everyday.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was evicted from my apartment because of an incident that occurred with my roommate while I was not home. The leasing office called me the next day to let me know about the incident and tell me we were being evicted. They put an eviction notice on my front door later that day. There was no court date on the notice and when I asked one of the people in the leasing office, they said that since we were not contesting their decision that they didn’t think it would go on our rental history or credit report but they weren’t sure. So how will this affect me? I’m having trouble finding answers online as most questions pertain to missing a court date. We don’t have a court date at all. I just don’t want this on my rental history. If it does go on my rental history or credit report, what can I do?

If I were you I would consult with a lawyer about how to avoid there being a judgment. Judgments sometimes wind up in your credit reports.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was your lease in term, or was it considered month to month?

Might want to pull that out and read it.

Message 7 of 14
Trudy
Valued Contributor

I don't know how long ago this was but I'd try to secure a new rental before the process gets traction to at least secure a place to live first before anything shows up, if it does.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

A notice to quit that isn't due to rent in arrears won't affect your credit. It may be put on your rental history that other landlords will see but that's not guaranteed either way. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgments are no longer reported on CRs, so you needn't worry about that.

Evictions are public record and anyone can locate them if they search the clerk of courts records. Lexis-Nexis and/or other 3rd party services do this to provide rental screening services, IIRC. Same is true of judgments.

You have the option to contest the eviction in court. State laws vary on your rights.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.