Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband Got Hacked - Need Help

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Husband Got Hacked - Need Help

Hey guys, so I was in the bathroom doing my make up and my husband rushed in and said someone had applied for a Target credit card in his name. He got an email from Credit Karma saying there was a hard inquiry on his report from TD Bank Target. His credit is in the 800's so I'm sure they got approved. He tried calling TD Bank just now to have them close the account, but they just forwarded him to a number that was closed. I know today is Sunday and they're probably closed, but we want to get this handled ASAP before they start charging a bunch of **bleep** on this account. 

Also, may be worth noting, I just installed anti-virus and all that jazz on my computer and sent an email with our W-2's to our tax person. Then 2 days later, this happens. The software is through McAfee, so don't they have some claim against this? Like they say you're completely protected? He's pissed right now because he didn't want to send this info through email to begin with and he was right. 

Anyways, should we start with filing a police report? 

How do I lock all three of his reports? I already locked Experian and he's working on Equifax, but I don't know how to lock TransUnion, so if someone could please help, we'd greatly appreciate it. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Husband Got Hacked - Need Help

@CreditInspired wrote:

Freeze your credit with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

Credit BureauOnlineBy phoneBy mail
How to freeze your credit with EquifaxVisitEquifax Credit Freeze page1-800-685-1111 (NY residents call 1-800-349-9960)Equifax Security Freeze, P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348
Visit: Experian Credit Freeze page1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742)Experian Security Freeze, P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013
How to freeze your credit with TransUnion Visit: TransUnion Credit Freeze page 1-888-909-8872TransUnion LLC, P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19016

I found this on https://clark.com/credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Message 2 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 3 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Queen_Etherea  Follow the links provided. Good luck and hope it all gets resolved quickly!

Message 4 of 10
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone for the quick responses! We managed to lock all 3 bureau's for both of our reports and he contacted our local PD to file a report. Does anyone know if you can use a Target card immediately after applying?

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 5 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I don't have this card. Hopefully, more experienced members can advise.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just want to say there is some good advice.  All three CR's also have apps for locking- which you should do, while your husbands does a credit freeze.  So sorry this happened.  I know you were working hard on your credit.

Message 7 of 10
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Thank you everyone for the quick responses! We managed to lock all 3 bureau's for both of our reports and he contacted our local PD to file a report. Does anyone know if you can use a Target card immediately after applying?

It is possible to use the card online same day if submitted online (at least it was in 2018).

On the bright side, you won't be responsible for the charges on the fraudulently opened credit card... the downside, most creditors have more hoops to jump through for a fraudulent opening of an account than with a stolen or hacked card. 

Best of luck

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 8 of 10
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Hey guys, so I was in the bathroom doing my make up and my husband rushed in and said someone had applied for a Target credit card in his name. He got an email from Credit Karma saying there was a hard inquiry on his report from TD Bank Target. His credit is in the 800's so I'm sure they got approved. He tried calling TD Bank just now to have them close the account, but they just forwarded him to a number that was closed. I know today is Sunday and they're probably closed, but we want to get this handled ASAP before they start charging a bunch of **bleep** on this account. 

Also, may be worth noting, I just installed anti-virus and all that jazz on my computer and sent an email with our W-2's to our tax person. Then 2 days later, this happens. The software is through McAfee, so don't they have some claim against this? Like they say you're completely protected? He's pissed right now because he didn't want to send this info through email to begin with and he was right. 

Anyways, should we start with filing a police report? 

How do I lock all three of his reports? I already locked Experian and he's working on Equifax, but I don't know how to lock TransUnion, so if someone could please help, we'd greatly appreciate it. 

If you request a Credit Freeze on your account you have to notify all 3 bureaus to have it done. As you stated it may not be done right away as it is Sunday.

You can immediately put a Lock on your credit reports by the list below:

For free you can use these two sites to lock your reports:

EQUIFAX-LOCK https://www.equifax.com/personal/products/credit/credit-lock-alert/
TRANSUNION LOCK https://www.trueidentity.com/

With Experian I know if you have an account you can lock your report on the dashboard.

Super easy with all three all you do is push a button to lock or unlock and only takes a few seconds .

You may want to also put a Fraud Alert on your credit also...

All you have to do is notify 1 bureau and they will notify the other 2 major bureaus (this usually lasts for 1 year where creditors have several steps to perform to verify your identity for any actions regarding your credit).

Message 9 of 10
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

So there's a difference between a lock and a freeze? I get the fraud alert thing and he's going to take care of that today for sure. He did manage to get a hold of Target Card Services and they couldn't find any accounts under his name. Unfortunately, TD Bank was closed yesterday, so he's going to call the bank directly today. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.