cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I GOT PHISHED TODAY! ALL NFCU MUST READ!

tag
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Re: I GOT PHISHED BY NAVY FEDERAL TODAY*! ALL NFCU MUST READ!

Any number can be spoofed. Do not give out any sensitive information over the phone unless you've called the number on the back of your card. 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 11 of 25
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@mmmagique wrote:

Any number can be spoofed. Do not give out any sensitive information over the phone unless you've called the number on the back of your card. 

+1 I routinely get calls from a Xcel energy number with a recorded message saying my power would be cut off in an hour if I don't call and make a payment. (This is the power company for my rental property so I have an account still in my name for when the tenants move out)

First time it happened I hung up and logged into my online account and I had a 0 balance so I dismissed it. A month later I get the same call. This time I Googled the number on caller I'd and it was a real Xcel number so I called them, was told it was a scam and to not give any money to anyone who calls. I still get this recorded call every few months. 

OP, so glad you caught it before they could do anything with your info

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes when they use VOIP they can spam any number.

When the phone system was actually built, the plain old telephone system known as POTS, it’s my understanding that government prevented the phone companies from making the protocol secure. (No cite.)

I guess big brother wanted access easily. That’s why it is still inherently insecure and caller ID can be spoofed.

Now you’ve got VOIP interfacing through the Internet to POTS and the security there leaves a lot to be desired or we wouldn’t be getting all the spam calls. That’s my understanding.
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why I don't anser any call unless they're pre-programmed in my phone, If it's important they'll leave a messege to call back.

Also, my local Banks have a phrase "We will never call or text you seeking your personal information".  So I'm guessing that it will be by snail  mail? lol

I actually got a call from USB or maybe Citi can't recall now, but didin't answer. I call them back a few hours later and askes why they were calling me, that I missed the call. CSR stated that they never tried to contact me, and nothing was wrong with my accounts.

ANYONE who is called by their FI's should simply tell them that you're busy right now and will call them back later. DO NOT give out any information, or answer yes/no question.

Message 14 of 25
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

@tussking wrote:

What's sickening is the fact it was from NFCU's exact phone number. I am still trying to piece this together to see where it did or didn't make sense.

Honestly, that's possibly the  easy part.

Was it a landline or mobile? Unfortunately, spoofing a cellular phone number couldn't be easier. You can get the programs from the play stores to do it even.

Everything after that takes some thought and considerable planning id imagine.

Edit: actually that used to be true, maybe Google and Apple has cracked down on those apps as of late.

Rebuild start: 5/15/19

Financial Institutions:
Wells Fargo | NFCU | Penfed
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

Message 15 of 25
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

I could have sworn there used to be a *star code that spoofed your number but I can't seem to find it now.

It's easy to spoof with apps or services though. I've actually gotten a call from myself before. They spoofed my own number when calling me. I don't answer any phone calls in general tho, unless it's expected and even then I usually let it go to voicemail.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten a call from my number as well. lol  Yeah that old trick was essentially just to hide you number, but it came up as "CID Blocked" not a "fake" number in its place.

This got me to thinking, because I recently seen jobs posted in advertising for mobile phones, and was wondering how big this really is.

Do people really want to be targeted on thier mobile phone for ads, I mena how receptive would they bee to constantly be getting "junk mail"? 

Personally I dislike the idea mostly because of this issue, you can't really trust whether the souce it above board or not.

I get random texts here and there with links in it, and assume they were legit ads. Though I wonder where they're getting my number. But I never take the chance and click on them, so I can't think that anyone else would either. The down side here is that I can't block those like I can with unwanted phone calls, I can only delete them. 

Message 17 of 25
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Scam callers can some how copy a number {NFCU} and call you from another number {theirs} and your phone will show the copied number {NFCU}.  You have to be ahead of their game.  Be careful and always hang up and dial back the Institution before giving out any information.  If it is legit, the company will have no problem with this.  And always wait some time before dialing back.  Some companies are now doing random checks to people for their own security.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 25
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry this happened, but this is EXACTLY why banks/CUs always say "we will never call or text you for personal info." If it is fraud, you can always login to your account and check on stuff on your own, or I would just call the CS number myself and verify.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 19 of 25
Medic981
Valued Contributor

My sister owns a telemarketing company and her company legitimately spoofs their phone number. Her company has regional call centers that call nationwide. A call center in Arizona might be calling New York and so they spoof the number they are calling from to a New York number. The difference is that the number they are using as a spoof is registered to her company and will ring back to her company.

Telemarketing companies know that people are more likely to answer a local number than an out of area code number or 800 number. As long as the company can be identified by the number they are spoofing, registered with the FTC, it is legal.

Scammers, on the other hand, are using this technology to nefarious ends. 

BTW, my sister's company is a third party vendor that markets and services cable and satellite provider's accounts. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.